Cbus fault with LED strip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexplatts18, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Alexplatts18

Alexplatts18

So I've install onto an existing system clipsal install. There was x3 50w haligen gu10 downlights, with were removed and replaced with was replace with 24v led strip in coving which was around 19.5w (peak) per meter the perimeter was around 8.5M which is 165.75w. For some reason it causes the breaker in the clipsal cabinet to trip after around 2 to 3 months of it being used. Does anyone have any suggestions.
    I was thinking of installing a capacitor or something as the clipsal never fully turns off

Attached Files:

Alexplatts18, Apr 3, 2022
  2. Alexplatts18

Wonkey

I would be concerned that you are loading the dimmer channel with greater than 300nF of capacitance and will cause the dimmer channel to prematurely fail.
    With the limited information provided the cause of the breaker tripping which again I presume is on the output side of the dimmer looking at the picture, is due again to the high capacitance of the load and the point in the AC mains cycle when the switching occurs.
    May I suggest that you find the specification for your strip lights drivers and see if the capacitance is documented, if not ask the manufacturer.
    Consider if dimming is really needed and if not use a relay instead to control the load.
    With regard to installing a capacitor or something, definitely not a capacitor, you could try a 31LCDA but there are no guarantee's that this will fix your issue.
    You will find on this forum lots of conversations around LED lights and the problems associated with them .
    Unfortunately testing devices pre-installation and being aware of the limitations of the Leading edge dimmer are important in particular the 300nF limit per channel.
    The universal dimmer may operate better but again its try it out, which i know is not ideal or cheap if you have to buy one.
    C-Bus relay is the only guaranteed solution but you lose dimming.

Wonkey, Apr 4, 2022
Ask a Question