CBUS dimmer and a GU10 LED not behaving

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Nathan, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Nathan

Nathan

Dimmer Channels and LEDS

I would get the LED circuit of any standard dimmer channel the leaking voltage can cause damage to most non dimming LEDS. We have been to several fix up jobs where the Electrician has run out of relay channel and used the spare Dimming channel only to find that some LEDs will blow after a couple of hours even when the dimmer is off and by some chance if that group adress is in a scene they me be dimmed that blew 20 odd $200 LEDS that the customer had foot the bill. Not only are you risking the chance of damaging the LEDS ive seen two in wall cheapish LED 240v models that actually caught fire on the circuit board. Make sure you get the manufactures details on the dimming system if they have one. The Main one Ive come accross is Osram have a module that allows the clipsal C-Bus Analogue 0-10v dimmer to dim there strip leds and this works well. Ive anyone knows of a colour changing LED module that cbus can control I would be interested.

Nathan, Sep 2, 2007
  2. Nathan

JohnC

As othersa have said, this is caused by leakage current through the dimmer when at 0% output.

The triac in the dimmer needs enough load to pull the active rail down to zero volts. LEDs and many screw-in compact fuorescent lamps act VERY wierdly when connected to dimmer channels. The onlt solution is to use a relay.

JohnC, Sep 3, 2007
Ask a Question