CBUS date/time

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by limey, Jan 25, 2011.

1. limey

limey

Hi Folks,

I'm relatively new to the world of CBUS programming so please bear with me.

I am looking to control a couple of outdoor circuits and wondered if it's possible to bring these on at a certain time. e.g. 10pm. I don't want to keep the lights on all night and prefer to have them shut off at say, 2am.

I also thought about using the sunset feature on the external PIR but then the duration will vary dependent on the time of year - longer in the winter, shorter in the summer. I guess this is also true with triggering events based on time but wondered if there is an option or clock type feature that would allow this.

I have a small/medium size system that consists of relays, dimmers, external PIRs and switches.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

limey, Jan 25, 2011
  2. limey

Newman

Events based on time-of-day are very common with C-Bus but it does depend on what units you have. You will need one of the following units connected to your C-Bus system to be able to do time-of-day events:

• B&W C-Touch
    • B&W C-Touch Mk2 (with or without logic)
    • C-Touch Spectrum (with or without logic)
    • Colour C-Touch
    • Pascal Automation Controller
    • Wiser
    • C-Bus Digital Clock unit (very old, quite limited)
    • An Always-On PC running HomeGate, Schedule+ or some third party software
    • A C-Bus Enabled security system that can perform time-of-day events

Newman, Jan 25, 2011
  3. limey

Conformist

These are both obsolete and are no longer available

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
    Conformist, Jan 25, 2011
  4. limey

Newman

Correct, however if limey has either on his existing system he will be able to achieve what he wants.

Newman, Jan 26, 2011
  5. limey

limey

Hi Newman,

Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have any of these units. I do not have a CNI either, so presume the software option is not possible.

Maybe the Wiser is the best long term option here. I already thought of an application for the iPhone app (turn drive lights on/off from car) but not sure of the wireless range (3G/edge reception not good at the front of the house).

The only other thought is to pick up a CNI and HomeGate/Schedule+, but cost wise this might not be the best option. What other 3rd party apps are available? Anything that is more cost effective?

Cheers, Limey

limey, Jan 26, 2011
  6. limey

KevinH

Do you have a PCI interface (RS232 or USB) ? HomeGate can use this, you don't have to use the more costly CNI. If you were considering buying both a PC interface and HomeGate then Wiser is very attractive feature and price wise instead.

Do you already use any existing Home Automation software that can do scheduling ?

K

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    KevinH, Jan 26, 2011
  7. limey

limey

I have a USB interface but no scheduling sofware. It would also be difficult to mount or connect a PC next to the interface.

Just been looking at a black/white MK II touch screen and this appears to have the scheduling features I require. It could be a suitable stop-gap until we opt for the wiser. I noticed that this also has a USB that can be used as an interface to the CBUS network which would then mean that I can decom the USB interface and make room in the electrical cabinets (short on space!).

Off topic question - I presume you can cange the facia on the black/white MK II touch screens as those parts are available to buy seperately? Does the B&W MK II model come with an IR remote? Can't seem to find any details to confirm either way.

Cheers

limey, Jan 28, 2011
  8. limey

Newman

The C-Touch MkII can do everything a Wiser can do. The capabilities regarding scheduling and logic are almost identical. Given the regular price is similar, I assume you've managed to get hold of a C-Touch MkII at a good price?

Just remember that the Touchscreen stops working like a Touchscreen when you're using it as an interface to your network for Toolkit and the like. That means that if you have a schedule that runs at 9am and you happen to be doing some Toolkit programming at that time, or you are remotely triggering Scenes stored in the C-Touch, then these things won't happen whilst you're connected to the USB port.

The C-Touch MkII is great, and I'm sure you'll find many uses other than just the scheduling, but if all you plan to do with it is shove it in a dark corner somewhere and let it rattle away in the background you might be better off replacing your USB PCI with a 5500PACA instead, since it's the same form factor as the PCI, has all the same scheduling and logic features and costs less.

Yes, the fascias can be swapped for other colours/looks.

I honestly can't remember!

Newman, Jan 28, 2011
Ask a Question