CBus-DALI gateway status correction problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zigenz, Feb 11, 2013.

1. zigenz

zigenz

Hello,

Have a CBus-DALI gateway in my CBus system and I am at a loss as to how to get the status correction working. It's not exactly rocket science, so I'm wondering if there is an issue with the unit.

Are there any known issues in certain releases of the firmware? My device has PCI firmware V5.4.00 and DALI firmware V3.7.

Cheers,
    Zyrus

zigenz, Feb 11, 2013
  2. zigenz

ashleigh Moderator

How old is the unit?

If its a recent purchase (ie i about the last 4 years) there should be no issues at all.

ashleigh, Feb 11, 2013
  3. zigenz

zigenz

Yeap, bought the unit in 2011.

Not sure if it was old stock though as I had some V1.8 key input units in my purchase as well.

Out of interest, what is the latest DALI firmware version?

Cheers,
    Zyrus

zigenz, Feb 11, 2013
  4. zigenz

zigenz

Just to check I'm doing things right, I have a number of CBus group address mapped to individual DALI, ballasts some mapped to DALI groups and one mapped to the DALI broadcast command.

Say I have ballasts, A, B and C, mapped to group address 0, 1 and 2 in the DALI application and all three on a common DALI group (group 0) mapped to group address 128 in the DALI application.

I have a 4-gang Saturn key input unit with the primary group set to DALI. Keys 1-3 are dimmers mapped to DALI group addresses 0, 1 and 2 (the ballasts) and key 4 is mapped to DALI group address 128 (DALI group 0).

I have status correction enabled yet the status doesn't seem to get "corrected".

Am I doing something incorrect?

zigenz, Feb 12, 2013
  5. zigenz

DarylMc

It's an issue I came across and I think it is the nature of using Dali.

If you switch on a Dali "Group" Address at no stage will the CBus see the Dali "Unit" address in that group as being on.

I worked around the problem by not doing what you are trying to do with your key input.

I expect there is a way around it with a logic device or by not using Dali Groups.

DarylMc, Feb 12, 2013
  6. zigenz

ashleigh Moderator

Darryl Mc is correct.

The C-Bus / DALI Gateway does not understand the programming of groups into ballasts (and nor can it, without a vast amount of s/w and pain).

Status correction in DALI land merely runs a check of the ballasts to see if their setting is the same as the C-Bus side thinks it should be.

This is just like the means used by C-Bus dimmers and relays with MMIs and status checking + correction, but applied on the DALI side.

The major use for this is 2-fold:

1. In the even of a DALI communication error, the load will (eventually) end up where it should be.

2. In the event that you use something like a DALI switch to control a load, then if you want C-Bus to be the control point master, the switch will be overridden. [Bizarre though it sounds there are sometimes cases where you want this to happen.]

In regards to case 1, DALI has no error checking or confirmation of transmissions, so the chances of a DALI communication failing are real, even though small.

ashleigh, Feb 12, 2013
  7. zigenz

zigenz

OK - so by that logic, when I turn on the group that contains the three ballasts, each ballast will report as being "on" so either:
    • the ballasts should turn off since CBus thinks they are off (CBus->DALI); or
    • the indicators on the input unit should turn on to reflect the state of the ballasts (DALI->CBus).

I'm not doubting that what you're saying is correct, I just have a feeling there is a piece of the puzzle that I don't yet know, so I'm having a little trouble understanding.

zigenz, Feb 14, 2013
  8. zigenz

ashleigh Moderator

If status correction is enabled, then within 1..2 minutes, ballasts should be turned off.

The input units will not be changed.

ashleigh, Feb 14, 2013
  9. zigenz

DarylMc

Hi zigenz

I checked my project since my reply.

Right now I'm talking about status indication of the key input indicator or say a Touchscreen button.

It's not entirely true that status won't be reflected for a Dali group address when you turn on unit addresses or vice versa.

In some cases it does.

But I don't think you will find it can work satisfactorily.

If you can use some spare blocks on the 4th key and tick 3 of them to match the Dali unit addresses rather than asigning a Dali group address for that key I think it will work.

Although you could possibly end up with the individual lights out of sync with each other.

I can't test it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
    DarylMc, Feb 14, 2013
  10. zigenz

zigenz

Right, this is what I suspected.

With status correction enabled, nothing happens with my configuration.

I had a read through the doco and I don't think there is any configuration required beyond enabling status correction in the CBus-DALI gateway.

Does this suggest a fault with the CBus-DALI gateway?

zigenz, Feb 14, 2013
  11. zigenz

DarylMc

I would guess that your Dali unit is OK and you have just found some limitations of it.

Try using the blocks as I suggested and see how it goes.

I think there is always going to be problems with status indication when you are using Dali group addresses and Dali unit addresses for the same fittings.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
    DarylMc, Feb 14, 2013
  12. zigenz

ashleigh Moderator

There's no fault with the DALI gateway.

In DALI, group membership lives in the ballasts. This is opposite to C-Bus.

In DALI, a ballast can be set up to have nonsense mappings.

Heres an example:

Ballast A1: In groups G1, G2, G3

Ballast A2: In Groups G1, G2

Ballast A3: In groups G1, G3, G4

NOW... I can control each ballast (through short addresses A1, A2, A3, etc).

If I issue a command to G1, we will see A1, A2, A3 respond as expected.

Now, suppose I issue a command to G3. We'll see A1 and A3 respond.

Or more complex:

I can control G1, and get response from A1, A2, A3.

Then I can turn off A1 ALONE. Whats the setting for G1?

In C-Bus such nonsense just can't happen. You only control groups. In DALI, you control loads, or groups, or scenes, or everything. Now the trouble is that the idea of the level or state OF A DALI GROUP is a meaningless concept, because the moment you do something which violates the ENTIRETY of that group, the concept of the group no longer exists.

So, if you map a C-Bus group -> DALI group, things will work fine UNTIL you control an individual DALI load.

The C-Bus Gateway has NO IDEA of the (DALI side) group memberships of the ballasts. So it cant know and does not know when you have made a change that busted a DALI group and made the DALI group "disappear" as a concept.

-------------

Status correction (as I posted earlier) is a part of the DALI gateway which does this:

- it makes a list of the incoming C-Bus groups
    - for each incoming C-Bus Group, it records the last known level of that group
    - it keeps that record up to date
    (all the above is a memory model of the C-Bus Group state, and it lives in the DALI gateway)
    - The gateway visits each ballast BY SHORT ADDRESS ONLY
    - The gateway gets the current dimming level from the ballast: "Hey Short Address X, whats your level"
    - The gateway compares the ballast view of the level to the C-Bus view of what the level (as mapped from a C-Bus group to DALI Short Address)
    - If the levels differ a counter is incremented; if the levels are the same the counter is reset to 0
    - If after the comparison of levels, and increment of counter, that counter reaches a value of (I think) 3, then the C-Bus level is used as the "correct" level and that level is transmitted, over DALI, to the errant ballast to correct it.

This is used as a means of forcing C-Bus group levels to always be treated as god-like, and override any errors that might have appeared in the DALI setting of a level. Or screw-ups that come from use of CBus groups mapped to DALI groups with nonsense memberships.

There is NO REFLECTION OF A CORRECTION MADE IN DALI BACK INTO C-BUS.

ashleigh, Feb 14, 2013
Ask a Question