CBus Components

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Dak, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Dak

Dak

Hello Again,

The proposed list:

6 x 4 Channel 2 amp dimmer L5504D2A
    2 x 12 Channel 1 amp relay L5512RVF
    2 x Cbus Power Supplies 5500PS

1 x External PIR Motion Det 5750WPL

9 x Saturn Ulti 2 Gang 5082NL
    1 x Saturn Ulti 4 Gang 5084NL
    2 x Saturn Ulti 6 Gang 5086NL

2 x Color Touch Screen 5080CTL
    2 x Power Supply 5000CTCPS
    2 x Wall Bracket 5000CTCWB

1 x IR Output Unit

1 x Network Interface 5500CN
    1 x PC Interface 5500PC

2 x Cbus Cable Cat 5 5005C30513

Could somebody please take a look at this list and let me know if there are any glaringly obvious incompatibilities. Is there something I have overlooked ? Something missing that should be on the list? Something that is on the list but shouldnt be on the list?

I put these components into the CBUS Calculator software (I substituted the Saturn switches with what I thought would be appropriate in the software - my version doesnt seem to have all the new cbus components) and got the "green" light from the software.

I just thought I would ask the experts before I went ahead and purchased.

Thanks in advance.

Dak

Dak, Sep 6, 2005
  2. Dak

Ross

Howdi Dak,
    The following would allow a functional network and save you a bob or 6 and offer plenty of redundancy.

3 x 4 Channel 2 amp dimmer L5504D2A
    3 x 4 Channel 2 amp dimmer L5504D2AP
    2 x 12 Channel 1 amp relay L5512RVFP

1 x External PIR Motion Det 5750WPL

9 x Saturn Ulti 2 Gang 5082NL
    1 x Saturn Ulti 4 Gang 5084NL
    2 x Saturn Ulti 6 Gang 5086NL

2 x Color Touch Screen 5080CTL
    2 x Power Supply 5000CTCPS
    2 x Wall Bracket 5000CTCWB

1 x IR Output Unit

1 x PC Interface 5500PC

2 x Cbus Cable Cat 5 5005C30513

Ross, Sep 6, 2005
  3. Dak

Dak

Thanks Very Much Ross,

Always happy to save a couple of bob.

Thanks Again.

Dak, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Dak

DrNick

I would use the 5500CN instead of a 5500PC (you originally had both on your list). Although it is a little more expensive you will be able to program the C-bus from anywhere if you have wireless on your laptop and a wireless network. This makes it much easier if you need to roam around while programming to check your work.

Also if you wanted to run software such as homegate later on you dont have to have a physical connection to the PC it can see the C-Bus over your ethernet network.

With saying all this I assume you are a little familar with networking.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
    DrNick, Sep 7, 2005
  5. Dak

UncleDick

Just to fill you in on why Ross suggested an alternative set of products (correct me if I'm wrong Ross):

Your original list had 6 x dimmer units and 2 x relay units all of which supply 200mA (1600mA) to the network plus you have 2 X stand alone power supplies that each supply 350mA (700mA) to the network so on that basis you have exceeded the 2000mA (2A) max current rating of the cable.

In addition from the products that you are using on this particular network only require ~ 350mA (so you could acheive this with 2 x relay or dimmer units that each supply 200mA) to cover the current draw requirment, so Ross's suggestion uses only 3 x dimmers to supply power gives you that plus a spare incase one fails so that you always have sufficient power.

The alternate relay and dimmer units, that Ross has suggested, with a 'P' suffix do not supply 200mA to the network, the stand alone power supplies were also surplus to requirements.

UncleDick, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Dak

Dak

Dr Nick:
    Thanks for the input. Can I clarify please. The 5500CN is an ethernet connection to the CBUS network, while the 5500PC is a serial/usb connection to the CBUS network. The 5500PC is a Din rail mounted unit whereby I need to have my computer hooked to it at the Din Rail Cabinet? Is this correct? I assume then that the 5500CN is a standalone unit (not Din Rail) that can be placed anywhere on the CBUS network. Does it have wireless ethernet capabilities? Does it have a wireless transmitter/router or do you connect the 5500CN to an external wireless router to get wireless capabilities. (Does any of that make sense?) :)
    Wireless access to the CBUS network is ideal, as you say, so that you can access it anywhere in the home. Well almost anywhere. My current wireless network is not so good through the concrete floor and blockwork walls. I plan to fix this though after I've completed my reno's.

Homegate also allows me access to my CBUS network anywhere from the www, is that correct? So I can turn lights on and off from work...???

UncleDick: Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind the proposed changes. I did want to have a certain amount of redundancy and potential for expansion built into the network, but it still sounds like I will achieve this with Ross' suggested list.

I also remember reading somewhere on the forums about potentially having the power supplies located relatively close to the Color Touch Screens. Is this because they draw more current from the CBUS network? or is it something to do with the voltage drop across the Cat5 cable over longer distances?

Thanks again for your prompt help.

Dak, Sep 7, 2005
  7. Dak

UncleDick

The colour touch screen has its own 5Vdc poer supply indipendent of the C-bus connection so it's current drain on the Bus is no more significant than a PCI (ie 36mA) - not of particular concern (however the 4m length of 5Vdc cable must not be cut back or lengthend due to volt drop and EMC issues). However depending on the physical size of your installation and the length of cable runs and the number of units spread along those cable runs there could be issues of voltage drop that could effect the power supply and communications to units at the far ends of the runs. On a project of your size I suspect this is unlikely to be an issue as it would appear to be domestic or small comercial and the cable runs and current draw are unlikely to be significant however for any future installations that you may do (or for any one else reading this thread who has larger sites in mind have a read of this:

http://www.clipsal.com/cis/pdf_files/CBus-Voltage-Calculation.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
    UncleDick, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Dak

DrNick

The 5500CN is an ethernet(RJ45) connection to the C-bus network (no wireless). So you plug/patch it into your hub/switch/router then add an access point to your hub/switch/router. Get your wireless on your laptop to talk to your access point (turn around twice or three times depending on model) and hey presto (after you read the instructions on setting up the 5500CN) you will be able to see your C-bus network with toolkit wirelessly.

Note if you buy an all in one router with wireless built in then you dont need the seperate access point.

The 5500CN is din mounted as well (but should not be mounted in the switchboard for segregation reasons) and yes it like the PC interface 5500PC can be connected anywhere on your network.

DrNick, Sep 7, 2005
Ask a Question