Cbus complete network failure

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Cords, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Cords

Cords

I have a network of about 41 units including 3 relay units, 3 dimmer units, fan controllers, edlt switches, normal switches and rs232 interface.

We had a storm a couple of nights ago and things got a bit funky, light switches flashing etc but it seemed to recover ok.

However this morning, I appeared to have a complete failure, no switches working or responding, indicayions on all relsys that no clock is installed, this was on the pci unit.

I am guessing i have potentially got a pci failure and possibly a power supply failure in another unit.

Have tried disconnecting and attaching one by one to pci, but no luck. Toolkit is detecting pci but nothing attached to it.

Any thoughts?

Cords, Jan 4, 2017
  2. Cords

Ashley

A cbus system contains multiple units that can be clock generators so if one fails another will take over. It is unlikely to be a PCI problem. When you isolate parts of a system you must ensure you have sufficient power to supply all connected units. The PCI does not supply power so to make a system with a PCI you need at least one power supply or output unit with in built power supply. Depending on how the system was installed segmenting whilst maintaining sufficient power can be an issue. Also, toolkit cannot tell which output units have power supplies, so it has to rely on the database and assume whoever set it up got it correct. if you don't have the original database you will have to set up the correct output units manually. Even if you have a database it is worth manually verify with output units really have power supplies.

A complete failure after a storm is frequently due to a power supply problem so the first thing to do is measure the dc voltage on the cbus and make sure it is greater than 15 volts. If not you need to start segmenting it and work your way out from a power supply unit.

Rather than using toolkit, it is much quicker and simpler to use the diagnostic unit. This will scan the network quickly and can print out the voltage at each unit. To build a system from a PCI, start by adding a power supply unit, then add other units, checking the voltage each time.

I have also had cases of other units like fan controller and shutter relays becoming faulty after a storm in such a way they take out the whole system.

Ashley, Jan 4, 2017
  3. Cords

Cords

Thanks Ashley.

I will use yhis as a starting point.

I currently have no surge protection installed, would this help with the fan and shutter relayd that you mention
    ? And any other units for that matter?

Cords, Jan 5, 2017
  4. Cords

DarylMc

Hi Cords
    Is this your own home or a customer job?
    I am a contractor in Brisbane and have a box of bits to work on C-Bus if you would like some help.
    Contacting the original installer is also something to consider.

Surge protection is definitely going to help protect anything connected to the mains power.
    It's recommended in every C-Bus product installation instructions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2017
    DarylMc, Jan 5, 2017
  5. Cords

Cords

So to close this one out. I have chased out the problem to a spare vable that had neen terminated into the network. The spare was outside, but taped up. However must of got gutful of water and was shorting.

No fried units so that is good news.

Cords, Jan 6, 2017
Ask a Question