CBUS & Comfort Issue

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by waynebr, Nov 27, 2012.

1. waynebr

waynebr

Hi I have an issue, today I installed a CBUS USB Interface and also a comfort CBUS UCM, for some reason my CBUS network switched off, the unit light is on but the CBUS light is off.

If I unplug any unit from the Network, I.E one of the shutter relays then the network works, it dosn't matter which one, as soon as I plug them all in the CBUS light goes off and I can't use the network.

I have ruled out loose wires by using different leads and disconnecting different units. Could it possibly be not enough power? or could something else be causing this?

I have used toolkit and the network clock is enabled.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm racking my brains trying to figure it out

waynebr, Nov 27, 2012
  2. waynebr

NickD Moderator

It could be power supply, but normally you would expect to see the C-Bus light go from ON to Flashing if you are just adding one unit (flashing means the voltage is marginal). How many power supplies do you have and what is the total unit consumption (your Toolkit project should tell you this, but you need to make sure it has all the right catalogue numbers in the database).

Other than that.. it could be the network clock. How long did you leave it after plugging the new unit in?

When you add a unit to a live network, it can cause enough disruption to the network clock signal that the clock arbitration re-starts. This should only take a few seconds, BUT...

If you've added an USB PCI and a Comfort UCM.. these could both have the clock generation option enabled, in which can you may now have a number of clock generators enabled.

The more clock generators enabled, the longer the clock arbitration takes. If you have too many it can take minutes, which could be what you're seeing (although if it comes back quickly after removing just one unit it tends to indicate this is not what's happening).

Either way, I'd make sure the clock generator option is disabled in the two units you have just added to the network.

Nick

NickD, Nov 27, 2012
  3. waynebr

waynebr

Hi I only have 1 power supply unit, the C-bus toolkit says current consumption 212ma and current supply 600ma. Looking at the power supply it says supplies 200ma to network. I think I would be close if not just over that. If so its a shame as its a lot of money for an extra power supply

waynebr, Nov 27, 2012
  4. waynebr

NickD Moderator

It sounds like power supply may be your issue.

If you actually only have 200mA and not the 600mA that the database says, I'm guessing that you have 3 DIN rail units, but only one of them has a power supply, but that the database thinks they all have power supplies.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about this other than adding a standalone power supply or swapping one of your DIN rail output units for the version that includes a power supply.

Nick

NickD, Nov 28, 2012
  5. waynebr

bmerrick

Hi Waynebr,

You're probably on top of this already but:-

Just on the 'get it going' now angle, you could leave one or two units disconnected and use Toolkit to configure all but them. Then disconnect something else, reconnect those other two and configure them (so database has all units). Ensure you have a clock and a burden enabled somewhere other than the PCI, then take the PCI offline and plug all the rest back in.

This should just get it all running as the PCI draws a hefty 32ma from the c-Bus. When you need to program something, just disconnect something whilst you're doing it. Not ideal by a long shot but will get you going till your PSU arrives.

On the PSU front, if you had been considering adding soon to your c-Bus network, something like a new dimmer unit, new relay unit or multi-room audio switch, you could bring forward that purchase and buy that instead of just a stand-alone power supply which is quite expensive just to add a power supply.

This way you are getting extra functionality and not just shelling out for power supply.

DIN rail dimmer or relay with inbuilt PSU = 200ma
    Stand-Alone c-Bus PSU = 350ma
    Clipsal MRA switch = 330ma

Regards,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    bmerrick, Nov 28, 2012
  6. waynebr

NickD Moderator

Good suggestion about removing units while programming and removing the PCI after you're done. The USB PCI only draws 22mA though (the RS232 PCI draws 32mA).

The MRA Matrix Switcher no longer includes a C-Bus Power Supply.

Nick

NickD, Nov 28, 2012
  7. waynebr

bmerrick

That still leaves a whole 10ma spare, plenty!! :p

Oops, Just as I thought..................I'm living in the past .......... :D

Waynebr, I'll do you a great deal on my old version MRA matrix switcher with power supply so I can get a new one. I've got power to burn and not enough new MRA matrix switches!!

All the best,

Brad

bmerrick, Nov 28, 2012
  8. waynebr

waynebr

Thanks I already have an opus 300 system installed, I guess the only option will be to buy a power supply. Currently I have 4 Blind relays, 1 8 channel 1 amp dimmer with power supply, 1 without power, 4 channel 2amp dimmer without power, 2 4 key DLT, 3 4 key saturn.

Guess the extra units take me over my allowance.

waynebr, Nov 28, 2012
  9. waynebr

bmerrick

Yes, the project is saying 212ma current consumption in Toolkit which is over the 200ma provided by the one in-module supply.

With the PCI removed from the network it would be only 190ma, which is under and though this will allow your network to run as it is today, it is not a long term 'solution'.

regards,

Brad

bmerrick, Nov 28, 2012
Ask a Question