cbus cat5 near data cat5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by l60mcm, Jan 23, 2011.

1. l60mcm

l60mcm

Hi I have searched for an answer to this but I can only find information on Pink CBUS cat5 proximity to electrical cable but not its proximity to data cat5, TV coax and the likes. So is it ok to run it in the same conduit/cable bunches as data cat5 or will this cause interference

Sorry if this has been posted before. Any help would be great thanks

l60mcm, Jan 23, 2011
  2. l60mcm

Ashley W

In Australia it is fine as the C-bus cable and CAT-5 are both considered to carry extra low voltage voltages. Not sure about the UK which is where it seems you are from.

Ashley W, Jan 23, 2011
  3. l60mcm

l60mcm

I was just wondering would it interfere with the data and coax

l60mcm, Jan 23, 2011
  4. l60mcm

ashleigh Moderator

You should be OK. The twisting of the pairs helps with common mode interference - before for emissions and for radiated susceptibility. The transceivers of both systems have additional common-mode interference rejection circuitry.

Any interference in this kind of setup would be common-mode, not differential mode.

And cbus/data have been run in the same cable trays for years w/o problems.

ashleigh, Jan 23, 2011
  5. l60mcm

l60mcm

Thanks for the info I just wanted to get it right. You know "you only get one chance" and all that. I was sort of holding of on the pink cabeling. I have nearly all the light, plug and data wire pulled. I just wanted to hear it from the people that know

Again thanks

l60mcm, Jan 23, 2011
  6. l60mcm

hoofie

No problems - I've seen a number of large C-Bus and networking installs where C-Bus pink is run alongside Cat-5 and terminated/distributed in the same rack [but not on same patch panel; best to avoid that just in case someone gets confused]. There has been zero problems with this approach - indeed Clipsal have a number devices that terminate C-Bus and networking in the same box of electronics.

hoofie, Feb 16, 2011
  7. l60mcm

ian rockett

cat 5

no problem in the UK to run with ay cable under 50volts

ian rockett, Mar 14, 2011
  8. l60mcm

HeyJoe

From a standards point of view, (in AU), there is no problem in running these two in the same conduit.
    From a performance point of view, everytime you have two cables running along side each other you increase the chance of their being an interferance issue.

The risk here is not likely to CBus or peoples safety, the risk is to data & video transfer on your structured cabling network.

I have heard many times. "I've never had a problem with interference." Only to be discussing the very issue on the next job. The thing about structured cabling is it is supposed to be flexible in the signal it will be carrying. Some signals may be more prone to interferance than others, or there could simply be other environmental factors that increase the likleyhood of issues on a particular job. HDMI over Category solutions are a prime example of a problematic issue for the AV installation.

The short of it is that it is unlikely you will have problems on the CBus, it is the Data & A/V services, that you are running near, that will assume the greatest risk on any given project.

Simply put, the greater the parallel cable run, the greater the risk of problems!

HeyJoe, Oct 12, 2011
  9. l60mcm

tobex

I dont think that 10Khz interferes with 100Mhz or 1GHz

tobex, Oct 26, 2011
Ask a Question