CBus cable outside

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benfjo, Sep 7, 2005.

1. benfjo

benfjo

Can the CBus cable be used outside. Due to the position of where I would like to install an external PIR I would need to run a length (say 5m) of CBus cable along the eves. Will this be okay, or should I use external grade CAT5 and connect this into the normal CBus network inside.

JB

benfjo, Sep 7, 2005
  2. benfjo

Ross

Howdi benfjo,
    What you are proposing sounds fine to do. I would however attempt to give the cable some mechanical protection from the elements. (conduit etc) Protection is better than cure.

If however the cable was to laid underground or in a harsh enviroment then a "gel filled" type cable should be considered.

Pretty simple really.

Ross, Sep 7, 2005
  3. benfjo

UncleDick

It never rains but it pours

Plus make sure that where you make the connections from the cable to the PIR is well protected from the eliments (ie make sure it is totally waterproof as well as the cable entry to the back box the PIR is mounted to).

Where a normal 240V PIR is mounted outside if you don't take care to weather proof the rear of the unit, the connections etc then if water should get in you soon know as the light doesn't work and the MCB or fuse in your switchboard blows. But if the same this happens to a C-bus PIR the potential short circuit that the water can make between C-bus +ve and -ve will stop your network from communicating and/or if the initial flood drys out the remnets of moisture in the PIR unit may cause garbage communications to 'flood' the network again disruppting or totally obliterating comms.

All you will know is that control of C-bus has become difficult or impossible and that attempts to scan the network will be dodgy or impossible.

When ever I get reports of a previously working network suddenly failing then one of the questions I will ask will be about external PIR's and whether there has been any recent heavy rain etc.

UncleDick, Sep 8, 2005
  4. benfjo

benfjo

Okay, thanks for that. I'll see what I can do to protect the cable. I assume that the external CBus PIR has proper gland connections that seal the cable, if not I'll make sure I put a healthy dose of clear mastic around the cable entrance.

JB

benfjo, Sep 8, 2005
Ask a Question