CBUS and IFTTT / WeMo

Discussion in 'Third-Party Solutions' started by Roosta, May 18, 2015.

1. Roosta

Roosta

Hi guys,

Has anyone had the call to interface CBUS to IFTTT (www.ifttt.com)? Recently i purchased a WeMo switch and have been pretty impressed with what it can do out of the box, however it is missing some key features I have become acustomed too, namely web browser control and CBUS Wireless remote control..

For AUD$70 the wemo switch is a little ripper and when you connect it to IFTTT then the options open up even further, and after playing with this I think CBUS could benefit from connectivity to IFTTT, i just have no idea what may be involved..

Originally I was try to connect via IP from CBUS to WeMo, however I think this is not possible without a PC/Rasberry PC acting as a translator..

Anyone else up for a challenge?

Cheers..

Roosta, May 18, 2015
  2. Roosta

arrikhan

I know this thread isn't new but I thought I'd continue the discussion roosta.

With a flurry of wifi enabled lighting and gadgets coming on the market, I am continually look at how I can get more out of my own Cbus installation. Now that I have my wiser fixed I can get back to toddling more with some basic coding ....

Your question got me thinking about APIs and interfaces that these diy lighting automation systems are relying on to gain a foothold,..

With Siri like devices coming out and gaining more adoption I'm curious if the Cbus system will go beyond IFTTT and allow devices like Amazon echo to control the Cbus network (or send some switching instructions).

This would be a great leap for this system ....

BenC

arrikhan, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Roosta

Roosta

Hey BenC,

As much as I love cbus I cant see it ever being developed internally by clipsal to adopt this new technology.. Its just not their game.. It will be us enthusiasts that take it there..

I have already done some dummy mock up between IFTTT and CBUS to allow me to turn on a light from a hashtag on face book, trivial and useless yes but it shows possible future integration.. I also had a muck around using geofencing to turn scenes on and off, a all off scene when i left for work in the morning, and a welcome home one for when i arrived home, all without having to touch a switch or sensor, just off my phones gps locator..

This space is rapidly evolving and IFTTT simply opened my eyes to the possibilities that the future may hold in automation systems.. Indeed the possibility of full integration with the electronic world will be soon upon us! And this goes for what constitutes a automation system.. It no longer is just software talking to hardware to do something.. It can be software interegating and talking to other software to achieve something automatically.. Ie my phone gps entering a geofence and then advising facebook where i am, or logging that time and date into a spreadsheet so my boss knows what time i am arriving at work and leaving again...

Oh the possibilities!

Cheers..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015
    Roosta, Dec 6, 2015
  4. Roosta

71monaro

Roosta, what are you using on the Cbus side of IFTTT? I bought a Lillebits Cloudbit, and plan to connect to a C-Bus Aux input, to allow me to turn on a channel or scene. But this is only going to trigger one action.

71monaro, Dec 7, 2015
  5. Roosta

Roosta

Hey 71monaro,

Yep i basically did the same thing.. Couple of wemo gpo outlets that feed a relay and bus coupler.. Nasty really but it works.. And its only 1 way comms effectively, however i was pondering buying a wemo wall switch and wiring the switch contacts to a cbus relay channel which then would allow cbus control of wemo and thus some IFTTT..
    It was just a bit of an experiment..

Cheers..

Roosta, Dec 7, 2015
Ask a Question