Cbus 5070 thermostat - shutter relay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MARTYS1, Apr 15, 2020.

1. MARTYS1

MARTYS1

Hi All

On lock down in NZ and a bit rusty with my programming. I have four rooms each with its own 5070 four channel thermostat, what I would like to do is be able to set the thermostat to cooling set the temperature and control a shutter relay to open/close a damper in the roof. Inversely i would like to put the controller on heating set the temperature and control a shutter relay to open/close a damper in the ceiling void

Any idea's on programming the 5070?

MARTYS1, Apr 15, 2020
  2. MARTYS1

Ashley

Are these 4 separate rooms with their own dampers, or do they all share the same 2 dampers?

Also, why a sutter relay? Most dampers just need a simple on/off relay or change over relay.

Ashley, Apr 15, 2020
  3. MARTYS1

MARTYS1

Hi Ashley, there are four separate rooms and each room has its own thermostat particular to its own damper, the damper has to be power on one side to open then powered on the other to close, i was going to use a shutter relay because that what i had spare but on playing last night with the 5070 selecting a shutter relay is not an option so ill have to use an 8 or 12 channel relay, 1 contact to open and a separate contact to close each damper.

MARTYS1, Apr 15, 2020
  4. MARTYS1

Ashley

Firstly, using 2 channels of a relay to control a damper is a bad idea. If both channels accidently get set you will blow up your damper and possibly the relay and maybe even cause a fire. If the remote on gets triggered (by a short or even water ingress), all the relays will close and this will not end well.

Use a change-over relay for this. If they are 24V dampers you can use the SELV relay.

If the 4 rooms are truly independent, just set each thermostat up as a master with it's own communication group. Then connect the heat damper relay to the heat activation group and the cool damper relay to the cool activation group. Select zone 1 and deselect all other zones.

If you want it integrated and every thermostat to control any room (via it's zone), it's a bit more complex.

Set all thermostats to the same communication group. Set one as a master (it doesn't matter which one) and the others to slave. Give each its own zone and disable the unswitched zone. In this mode the master controls the plant and the dampers. The difficulty is that it assumes a single plant and a single damper per zone. (i.e. it switches the whole plant from heating to cooling). So you will have to use the heat/cool activation groups to supply power to the appropriate damper relays so only the correct one operates.

While not overly complex , it does require a good understanding of the system which is really beyond the scope of these forums to do remotely.

Ashley, Apr 16, 2020
    MARTYS1 and jboer like this.
  5. MARTYS1

MARTYS1

MARTYS1, Apr 18, 2020
  6. MARTYS1

MARTYS1

Good advice on not using a standard relay, Ill have a scrounge down at work hopefully i have a change over relay in stock, if not ill order one once lock down is lifted, thanks so much for the advice its appreciated. Hope your staying safe, cheers ......Marty

MARTYS1, Apr 18, 2020
Ask a Question