cat 5 in bed of mortar -

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by penny, Aug 16, 2005.

1. penny

penny

Is there any problem runing cat 5 cable thru a bed of mortar in a double brick wall.
    I know its not ideal and not recomended but is there any problem as longs as there are no breaks in the cable

And also can the saturn switch plates be mounted so that the back of the glass if flush with the gyprock or do you have to see the black mounting bit

thanks in advance
    :) :) :) :) :)

penny, Aug 16, 2005
  2. penny

Newman

Whilst you can't mount the Ulti Saturn switches with the glass flush (not without having to be creative in the way the gyprock is cut anyway) there are a range of coloured frames available.

These frames are fitted from the rear of the unit and fit around the edge so that it is flush with the edge of the glass (the glass usually overhangs the "black mounting bit" by about 1mm). They're available in a range of standard colours.

I'll let someone else answer the one about Cat5 in mortar. Are you just drilling a hole through the mortar between the bricks or actually laying the cable in the mortar whilst it's still wet?

Newman, Aug 16, 2005
  3. penny

[IL]NewGen

nah, it's quite safe actually but just the known facts that it shouldn't be done incase you want to pull out more or do something fancy with it will get damaged.
    :D

[IL]NewGen, Aug 17, 2005
  4. penny

ben addison

if possible you should drill a hole and feed the cable through. I had a fault on a fire alarm a few years back. where we got a short circuit, but only in hot weather (wasn't very often here in the uk ;) ) It turned out to be a cable set in the mortar, as the wall heated up it squeezed the cable and shorted to conductors.
    it was very rare as the whole wall should move as one and i have seen other cables laid the same way without a problem.

if the cable is already set in the mortar, can you try and loosen it off??

ben addison, Aug 19, 2005
  5. penny

Leigh

I had a similar problem once. Single brick wall, with face bricks on both sides and above door. Concrete floor. Solution was to run a skirting duct from adjacent cavity wall to door frame. Cable runs up inside of door frame. Cable remains accessable in future.

Leigh, Aug 20, 2005
  6. penny

Scar

If it had to be done and there was no other way around it, i would do it, but at least try and use external rated cat5. Has at least a heavier outer sheath which will withstand the elements more. Also maybe try and squeeze in 2. Never know when you will need extra cable pairs. :))
    Cheers
    Jason..

Scar, Aug 24, 2005
Ask a Question