Capacitor for L5501RFCP controlling Hunter-Pacific fan

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by PBirkwood, Nov 7, 2017.

1. PBirkwood

PBirkwood

The Ceiling Sweep fan controller died a few years back when an electrician friend was upgrading the C-Bus lighting network. I suspect the electronics were damaged. I have a non-cBus electrician coming over shortly to swap the damaged with a new controller. But, if it also turns out to be the capacitor that's been damaged, does anyone know whether a generic capacitor replacement will do? The electrician thinks that Clipsal supply a ceiling sweep fan capacitor for other non-Cbus controllers. The fan is the Hunter-Pacific concept 2: http://www.hunterpacific.com.au/concept2.php.

PBirkwood, Nov 7, 2017
  2. PBirkwood

NickD Moderator

Hi Paul,

I don't know that fan specifically, but as far as I know, any capacitor designed for this application should work, it just may not give you the speeds you want.

Clipsal sell an SAE fan speed controller (30CSFM) which comes with a capacitor which appears to have a part number 31F3CSFG which may be separately orderable.

Having said that... the Hunter Pacific documentation says all over it "1. Do not attempt to operate the fan (or optional light kit) with any wall control that is not approved by Hunter Pacific for use with its fans. DO NOT use solid state controllers. The use of unapproved controllers may void your warranty."

I would suggest you or the sparky call Hunter Pacific and ask them what they recommend to be safe.

Nick

NickD, Nov 7, 2017
    PBirkwood likes this.
  3. PBirkwood

PBirkwood

Wow. Thanks for spotting that. Hunter Pacific was recommended by ex-colleagues at =S=, but it appears that it should not be used with C-Bus fan sweep controllers. Obviously, the C-Bus electrician who installed the fan didn't pay attention to the instructional warnings either. The same sort of warnings were in the accompanying fan packaging.

I have two of the fans, one functioning in the office and the other which is not working in the living room. I haven't had issues with the office fan. I use a C-Bus remote to control the fan. Truth is, I only use it on warmish days when I don't want to run the aircon.

I'll contact Hunter Pacific on their National Warranty Line to see what the problems are with solid state controllers and whether the C-Bus controller is exempt.

PBirkwood, Nov 7, 2017
  4. PBirkwood

Damaxx

Have used C-Bus fan controllers on 2 Hunter Pacific fans for over 5 years without an issue.
    They don't get used real often admittedly, but never had any issues with them.

Interested to see what you get back from HP support.

Damaxx, Nov 7, 2017
    PBirkwood likes this.
  5. PBirkwood

PBirkwood

Hi,
    Just got off the phone with a Hunter Pacific service person. The main issue is hum which can be experienced with some solid state controllers. The warranty would not cover the problem of hum. He stated emphatically that it is not an electrical or fire hazard, but simply a residual noise owing to poor performing controllers.

So I think that the failure of my controller was owing to my electrician ex-colleague damaging the circuitry either of the fan itself or the controller. He never said exactly what he did, but I guess it’s not worth pondering too long in the distant past. I can now move on and get the sparky that I’ve contracted to check the fan circuitry, wiring and then the controller. Hopefully, it won’t be too difficult to resolve.

PBirkwood, Nov 7, 2017
    Damaxx likes this.
  6. PBirkwood

NickD Moderator

Don't get me wrong.. Hunter Pacific are a quality brand.

I think this statement is more of a get out of jail card for them.. they supply a controller they know will work and don't want to have the hassle of trying to support any old controller that the installer decides to use.

Also, by solid state controllers they mean phase control types like the Clipsal 32E500FM... the C-Bus fan controller is NOT a "solid state controller in this regard... it is doing exactly the same thing as the one that Hunter Pacific supply... switching in different capacitors. Ideally you use the capacitor supplied with the fan (which is why the C-Bus fan controller comes with a big hole to fit one).

Nick

NickD, Nov 7, 2017
    PBirkwood and Damaxx like this.
Ask a Question