Can't change Wiser IP

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Thomas, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas

Hi all,

Can't believe I have to post this...

I have a Wiser set up with static IP, etc. The unit works well as such.
    Due to network changes at the site I have to change the IP address of the Wiser and switch off the DHCP server, and after successful log-in I get a return saying "IP address format error" when trying to change the IP address or switch on or off the DHCP server.
    Battled with it for a while, then gave up and thought the Wiser went belly-up.

Just to be sure, I tried the same thing at my own house, and find also here I cannot change the IP address or DHCP server anymore. That is a bit too much!

Co-incidently, I had to do a bit of remote assistance on another site, and there it all works fine. Darn! What is going on?:confused:

Before I send two Wisers back, maybe someone has an idea what could be going on.

All Wisers run the newest firmware and my software also is the latest version.

Any help appreciated.:)

Thomas, Feb 17, 2014
  2. Thomas

Thomas

Solved

Right,
    the matter is resolved. I'll get them replaced. Seems like a short life span though.

Thomas, Feb 18, 2014
  3. Thomas

Charlie Crackle

how are they replacing them when they have no stock are they replacing with new model ?

Charlie Crackle, Feb 19, 2014
  4. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Charlie,

There is stock of the white wiser. Our local Schneider office has bought quite a bit some time ago.

Having said that, I would much prefer to get the V2, in the hope that it is a better product.

Thomas, Feb 21, 2014
  5. Thomas

DarylMc

Wiser is advertised with a 2 year warranty in case that helps.

DarylMc, Feb 21, 2014
  6. Thomas

Thomas

Thank you Daryl,

Yes, I am aware of this, but it doesn't really give me a warm feeling when I have to replace them so soon.

Since you sound like someone who also uses these a bit, may I ask you if you have had much success with accessing the network with Toolkit via Wiser?

I have a couple of sites where I've done the setup to do that, but it is an extremely rare occasion to achieve a full scan.:mad:
    It is much more reliable to set up a PC and access this via TeamViewer.

I just think that Wiser should deliver on what it is supposed to, especially as it is an extremely pricey router.

What is your experience with it?

Thomas, Feb 23, 2014
  7. Thomas

DarylMc

Hello Thomas
    I have never used or had a go at programming the Wiser product and I was just pointing out the 2 year warranty.

Of course you would hope it would last longer but it is an electronic device and there are environment variables such as heat, power surges and user programming.

It looks like a router to me too but since the Wiser has so many features I think the price is reasonable.
    Built in CNI, router, wifi, logic engine, mobile interface, free programming software.
    It's a lot in a small package and could be considered a bargain to get all those things going on CBus.

I too have used remote connections to onsite PC's to manage the CBus network through a CNI, Homegate and a Colour Touch Screen.
    That works well but it is quite expensive and does not have the web/mobile interface of the Wiser.
    Can't find a link right now but someone reputable was recently extolling the virtues of having a separate CNI to the Wiser on the network.

I used to have 2 CNI running in my office for the purpose of running TouchSoft iPhone app and still being able to use Toolkit, Piced and diagnostic utility.

Since Wiser cant use the CNI while you are connected it may be worth investigating whether this can help you with remote work.

I've had great success at using Ethernet device servers plugged into the CBus RS232 PC interface.
    If you have any RS232 PC interfaces lying around they are an inexpensive way to get another CBus connection.

Best wishes and perhaps someone with some actual Wiser experience can add some more.

DarylMc, Feb 24, 2014
  8. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Daryl,

Thank you for your reply. You could twist my arm in believing that Wiser is a bargain IF all it's features worked.

However, since you can neither update a colour touch screen and Wiser itself via one Wiser unit, nor can you get a Toolkit scan, I have difficulties accepting this to be a bargain.

In fact I am still looking to hear from someone who has got any, or at least regular remote connections with Toolkit via Wiser.
    Perhaps someone from the brain-trust could assist and tell me why it is not working. I have raised this issue in another thread, and had received no workable solution.
    For me it is increasingly important to have remote servicing facilities, and I think that adding multiple components and a dedicated PC to achieve that is counter-productive, and should not be necessary when we have a product which should be able to provide these services.

Thomas, Feb 26, 2014
  9. Thomas

DarylMc

Hi Thomas

That doesn't make sense.
    What is stopping you from connecting and uploading to the CTC from PICED running on a remote PC over TCP?
    Or updating the Wiser itself?

Aside from that.
    Since the Wiser uses its own CNI to talk to the CBus network, you will make remote Toolkit access much simpler for yourself by having a separate CNI.

Since you want to be able to do as much as possible remotely.
    You will also need to consider the security implications of allowing remote TCP connections to the devices.

DarylMc, Feb 26, 2014
  10. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Daryl,

I think you are missing the point. You are saying that Wiser is great and a bargain due to all its features.
    If you try those features, you will find that a couple of important ones don't actually work.

For instance a Wiser on a C-Bus network, along with a Colour Touch can only update Wiser OR the colour touch, unless you access the main router to change port forwarding as appropriate. This was discussed in detail on this forum, and no working solution could be found.

If I wanted to sit on the C-Bus network all the time, then yes, a separate CNI would be necessary, but not for the occasional, but necessary updates.

And yes, I can put one or more PCs on site and do everything through them.
    Yep, I can also install HomeGate on them and throw out Wiser altogether.

The big issue is though, that Wiser SHOULD be able to provide all these services, but it can't.

Then, if it is a high risk to allow TCP connections, then I think it should be looked at by the relevant powers, to make them secure enough to offer a product which does allow them.:)

Meanwhile I hope to hear from one of the product managers, or someone who got it all to work, particularly Toolkit through a remote connection through Wiser.

If you wish, we can discuss this via private messages, as it is not my intention to hammer the product, rather to get solutions.

Thomas, Feb 27, 2014
  11. Thomas

DarylMc

Hello Thomas

The value proposition of the Wiser is going to vary from one case to another.
    But I still believe that it is a cheap way to get some extra features into a CBus home.

For example the Wiser mobile interface may be enough to suit some homes without the cost of adding a CTC.
    The cost saving there would be significant.

If someone was considering an installation without a CTC but perhaps running a PACA for some logic and schedules.
    There are many pros and cons such as PACA requiring a direct USB connection to program and I suspect Wiser would struggle to match PACA reliability.
    But I think the Wiser also makes some case for itself.

In your case, where you wish to do remote programming and also have a CTC, your own experience shows that it is of less value.

Whether remote Toolkit access through Wiser CNI can work or not would be best taken up with CIS tech support directly if you haven't already done so.

I still think you can do everything you require by managing the site port forwarding (or setting up a VPN) and adding a CNI.

DarylMc, Feb 27, 2014
Ask a Question