Cannot turn off voltage on 8 channel dimmer

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by markcs, May 14, 2015.

1. markcs

markcs

Hi,

I have just added a light to channel 7 of a DIN Rail 8 channel dimmer (channel not used before)

On the 4 gang NEO key input unit I have set a key to ON/OFF and on the dimmer the levels are set 0%, 100%

Light turns on absolutely fine but when the NEO switch is pressed to turn off the light it stays on but dimmer and the voltage output on channel 7 only goes down to around 207 volts as measured by a digital voltmeter.

Exactly the same behaviour if I try to turn on and off the light directly on the 8 channel unit itself. This is also happening on a couple of the other channels. I cannot get the channel to fully turn off

Have tried everything, other channel I have previously set up working fine. Anyone have any ideas.

Many thanks for any help.

Mark

markcs, May 14, 2015
  2. markcs

rhamer

A dimmer will always have a voltage across its output even when off, because of how they work.

If you put a load across it (not just a multimeter) it will read differently, but it will never be zero like a switch or relay is.

This is quite normal for dimmers of all vintages, and that is why you don't just assume off means no volts and stick your fingers in the globe socket.

What sort of load is on the dimmer channel, and what is on the channel that works?

Cheers

Rohan

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
    rhamer, May 14, 2015
Ask a Question