Cannot set IP on inline CNI 2

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by pgordon, Sep 2, 2014.

1. pgordon

pgordon

Getting *extremely* frustrated with this.... having moved house (and moved country actually) my Wiser/CNI hardware has been packed away for many months. I'm now ready to set it back up again, but in my new house the IP range is different, so I need to update the addresses in the Wiser router & CNI.. (I was, and still will, use option B configuration)
    FYI the IP subnet at my old house was 192.168.145.x/24 and now I'm on 192.168.0.x/24. I've connected the CNI to the LAN & temporarily set my PC to 192.168.145.20/255.255.255.0.
    - I can PING the CNI on it's old address which is 192.168.145.246/255.255.255.0
    - I can browse to http://192.168.145.246 and see the CNI2 status page
    So I am quite certainly able to communicate with the CNI...
    I've installed the Cbus IP utility version 1.3.0, when I run it, this asks me what interface to scan (my Wifi adapter is still enabled on my "real" home network)
    I Select my wired interface, and the utility successfully scans & finds the CNI.
    I can then successfully change any of the options *EXCEPT* the IP address!!!
    I have successfully changed the description field, and the gateway field... - obviously the utility warned me the gateway was not in the same network as the IP...
    When I update the IP Address field and click save, the first warning is: "The network mask you have given will not allow the device to communicate with this PC"
    WHAT UTTER TOSH! this is the correct 24-bit netmask for this subnet, and is the same netmask as I have configured in my PC
    to re-iterate:
    my PC is: 192.168.145.20 / 255.255.255.0
    the CNI is: 192.168.145.246 / 255.255.255.0
    I have successfully set the gateway in the CNI to 192.168.0.1
    the netmask that is already set in the CNI is correct: 255.255.255.0

If I click ignore to the first error, the IP utility then return with "Socket error # 10013 Access denied" and does not update the IP in the unit...
    I note that when changing the other fields the tool prompted me for the password which I entered successfully, but when trying to change the IP address it did not ask for the password... wondering if that was the problem, I have *successfully removed* the password in the CNI and the tool now says "this device has no password protection" having done that I've tried again to update the IP address and get exactly the same errors...
    I'm at my wit's end with this... can someone from clipsal PLEASE help me get this working again.... it should be such a simple task!

Be aware that I *have* already tried disabling my Wifi Adapter so that there is only 1 interface & network configured on the PC, and that didn't help either...

Paul G.

pgordon, Sep 2, 2014
  2. pgordon

Phoneman

CNI Issues - Drunk Uncle

I am beginning to suspect that the CNI is akin to the drunk uncle everyone invites to their wedding knowing he is going to let them down and dance his way into a table or the cake.... They all know he has an issue but noone really wants to talk about Uncle Bert!!

There are quite a few posts about the issues people have had connecting to the CNI and sadly, I join that list....

Is is something that is regrettable or is it something that either works or it doesn't? (Even Uncle Bert has a dry night)

Phoneman, Apr 1, 2016
  3. pgordon

ashleigh Moderator

CNI and CNI2 are very different beasts.

ashleigh, Apr 4, 2016
Ask a Question