Can you use regular data routers to transmit C-Bus signals

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by thelauman, Dec 11, 2004.

1. thelauman

thelauman

Hi there,

I had a thought the other day and was wondering if is possible, here goes:

Since C-bus signalling is pretty much using the InternetProtocol to transmit its signals would it be possible to use a normal computer data router/switch and plug in the pink Cat-5 cable since after all it is transmitting data. What Im getting at is if so, then would it be possible to use the wireless flavour of router/switches and virturally transmit C-bus signals via Wi-Fi across the appropriate equipment (PC networking gear)?

For example, would it be possible to plug a regular PC interface into my laptop and one end of the pink Cat-5 fly lead into the PC interface while the other end into a wireless module (or a USB to ethernet adapter using a serial to usb adapter). At the other end of the wireless bridge the wireless router also has one end of a fly lead and the other end into say a dimmer (or onto the network). This would allow me to move throughout an installation and quick toggle the channels to make sure they turn on the right loads in the same room, rather than having someone in there yelling back as i sequentually go through each and ever channel.

Long winded i know but hope you get the idea....
    Any ideas are welcome

Cheers
    thelauman

thelauman, Dec 11, 2004
  2. thelauman

Ashley W

Mate C-BUS, or at least at the 'pink cable' end isn't using any internet protocol, it is using a proprietary C-Bus protocol which is nothing at all like TCP/IP. Nor is the cable ethernet, RS-232, USB or any protocol except C-Bus. It isn't possible at all to run C-Bus through any router or network device the way you have described.

If you had a C-bus network interface (5500CN), then it would be possible to kind of do what you want to do but connecting the IP side of it to a wireless device (router), and have you PC running some of the IP enabled software. The 5500CN is what is doing the 'translating' between the app running on the network and C-Bus.

Ashley W, Dec 12, 2004
  3. thelauman

thelauman

Cool.

Thanks heaps for your help buddy...

thelauman, Dec 12, 2004
  4. thelauman

coppo

what about the volatage difference??

I also suppose the voltage difference of C-Bus (36vdc) and the data network (5-12 vdc) might come into as well.

Although i do like my "chips" well cooked, bit of vinegar too..

coppo, Jan 17, 2005
  5. thelauman

Ashley W

Well yes and no. They are certainly different voltages, but the whole point is they are complete and different protocols that are not compatable with one another, its that simple.

The only thing they share is the cable, but even with this the pinouts are not even close to be alike.

Ashley W, Jan 17, 2005
  6. thelauman

Phil.H

You need to look at the basics.

Do a bit of reading on OSI. You need to consider the Physical Layer, Network Layer and Transport Layer etc. Study the fundamentals they never change.

TCP/IP on ethernet is a complete different kettle of fish to C-Bus comms, however C-Bus does conform to the OSI model for communications as does IP.

Have a look here:
    http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid7_gci916968,00.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
    Phil.H, Jan 17, 2005
  7. thelauman

pspeirs

There would be much less confusion if CBus used Belden multi core as standard :)

pspeirs, Aug 7, 2015
  8. thelauman

Ashley W

Don't think there is much confusion among those that know what they are doing. Those who don't know should maybe read a bit more (the C-bus protocol and its electrical characteristics is not any great secret) about what the product is and how it works, or hire someone that does.

Ashley W, Aug 9, 2015
  9. thelauman

znelbok

There are quite a few that think because a Cat5 cable is being used that it is Ethernet - while we know the two are mutually exclusive, a lot don't and I think this is where the confusion comes from.

Anyone wanting to get into C-Bus from more than an end users point of view really does need to read the manual and if they are not aware of the above then there is a chance that it will be too much for them to handle anyway.

znelbok, Aug 9, 2015
  10. thelauman

pspeirs

True, but there is always the one who will plug it in first then complain when something blows. As you said though, if you don't know, don't touch.

Paul

pspeirs, Aug 15, 2015
Ask a Question