Can the 5031RDTSL be used outside?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by P_R, Apr 19, 2018.

1. P_R

P_R

Hi,

The manual for the 5031RDTSL temperature sensor says it is for internal use only. Would there be any issues if I were to mount it in an appropriate location which did not receive any direct weather but was still outside of the house? I am guessing the answer is yes as the sensor does not know where it is, it just measures the temp of the air around it.

Or are there other better ways to measure the outside temperature and relay them back to the c-bus network?

Cheers,

P.

P_R, Apr 19, 2018
  2. P_R

bmerrick

Hey P_R,

In a hypocritical statement of what not to do, I would not suggest you use a 5031RDTSL outdoors as it is designed for indoor use only.

However, I have had one on my balcony near to the water but under the eave (the eave soffit) for about 3-4 years, and its still working perfectly, it is under the eaves and measures 'outdoor temperature'.

I would not use this at a client's site though (for the obvious reason) and suggest you can also look at the Clipsal 5104DTSI 4 channel digital temperature module with its stainless steel hermetically sealed temp sensors. This also gives you other channels for other zones like indoor temp, pool temp, different A/C zones etc.

The 5031 has a C-Bus input unit module on the back that is not sealed and so if the back area has the possibility of direct moisture (like an eave), it will kill the module as it will trace into the back of the unit. I'm just lucky my eave has remained dry!!

Good Luck,

Brad

bmerrick, Apr 19, 2018
  3. P_R

rikaussie

5104DTSI would be a better option. It cheaper and you can house it inside with the sensor external or in a weather proof box outside. Also you can have 4 sensors connected.

rikaussie, Apr 19, 2018
  4. P_R

P_R

Hello Brad and rikaussie, thank you for your responses.

I did consider the 5104 pared with sensor 5100DTSP, but I could not figure out how this would look when installed. The 5104 could be hidden inside the cavity wall or an enclosure, it's the 5100 that I don't know what to do with. Does it simply hang out of such an enclosure? Is there a plate it is designed to connect onto? The finished product does not seem as 'clean' as the look of a 5031.

An external version of the 5031 would be just the thing if it existed.

P.

P_R, Apr 20, 2018
  5. P_R

bmerrick

Dom Cannalonga and his team at Airtopia is the beans here. Check out their 5100DTSSM 1 wire temp sensor (picture below - noting this is NOT a Clipsal part), a temp sensor Airtopia has sourced that works with the 5104DTSI and also works with their amazing Airtopia air conditioning controller / gateway that works with C-Bus - a C-Bus Enabled partner - and a great product.

The diameter of the 5100DTSSM paintable temp sensor disc is near the size of a 5 cent piece. It holds easily into gyprock/fibre cement ceilings with just a small hole, or you can use the 'wall mate' style bush it comes with if you want to secure it very robustly. This sensor is also great to use for 'architectural' rooms and can even be mounted into a 30 series mech blanking plate into a dual power point with 30 mech hole. A neat solution for any room.

P_R, If you want one, PM me as I have a few in stock. It looks good and gives you three spare temp channels on the 5104, a pretty good solution I think.

Good Luck,

Brad

Airtopia 5100DTSM 1 wire temperature sensor suits 5104dtsi.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    bmerrick, Apr 22, 2018
  6. P_R

P_R

Thank you for all the replies.
    Thank you bmerrick as well, I did consider your offer.
    In the end I installed the unit externally. It is protected from direct sunlight, water/rain and general moisture (such as sprinklers!) but is not in a dead area. It works too, temp was 18.70 last night so now an eight year old can glance at the temp and choose his clothing for the day. This was the goal!
    C-bus connectivity was easy enough, cabling was much harder.
    I've now ordered a second unit for internal temperature :)
    Thank you all. A good resource for people like myself who like to tinker.

P_R, May 2, 2018
Ask a Question