Can I upgrade my 2007 system to one that gives the resident access to make changes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DALLAS O'BRIEN, May 16, 2018.

1. DALLAS O'BRIEN

DALLAS O'BRIEN

I just purchased a house in Sydney with a 2007-vintage C-bus system. I am unable to make any changes, and I was wondering if the latest version of the hardware/software gives the resident ability to program it themselves? or do I need a technician to make programming changes even with new hardware? I attach a photo of the display unit.

thank you
    Dallas
    IMG_2184.JPG

DALLAS O'BRIEN, May 16, 2018
  2. DALLAS O'BRIEN

NickD Moderator

To make changes to the Colour Touchscreen shown, you can use the free tool "PICED".

To make changes to the programming of the rest of the system, you need the free "C-Bus Toolkit" software, but you will also need an interface to connect your PC to. You may already have one somewhere on your network.. it could be called a "PC Interface" (aka PCI), or a "C-Bus Network Interface" (aka CNI). Some products such as the Wiser, Wiser2, or the smaller touchscreens also offer "PCI" functionality.

Since you have a Colour Touchscreen you should have access to both the project file for it (stored on the device itself), and this should also include the Toolkit/C-Gate project which is a big help. If you read the PICED help it should explain how to transfer the project from the unit. Whatever you do, make a backup of this before you make any changes!

The software can be downloaded here https://www.clipsal.com/Trade/Support/Software.

Having said all that... there is a certain amount of learning curve. Even if you want to do it yourself... it may pay to engage a local integrator to help you get set up and show you the basics.

Nick

NickD, May 17, 2018
  3. DALLAS O'BRIEN

DALLAS O'BRIEN

hi Nick,
    I purchased the serial interface but cannot get it to communicate with my c-touch, using PICED. Any suggestions are very welcome

DALLAS O'BRIEN, Jun 12, 2018
  4. DALLAS O'BRIEN

NickD Moderator

Ah.

You don't need the serial interface to configure the Colour Touchscreen... you only need it fo configuring your other devices like switches, sensors, dimmers etc.

PICED connects to the Colour Touchscreen using ethernet. If it's on your LAN, then the transfer utility in PICED will find it (assuming there are no firewalls blocking it). Otherwise you can take the glass fascia off and plug into the front with a crossover cable.

The PICED help should be able to give you better instructions.

Nick

NickD, Jun 12, 2018
Ask a Question