Can I Gang Dimmer Channels Together?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by minimatt, Jul 9, 2006.

1. minimatt

minimatt

If I have a circuit with a max load of just under 2 amps, could I simply bridge 2 channels of a 1 amp dimmer together and program them to operate as 1? (i.e. simultaneously) It is in a situation where it is not practical to run another feed and split the lights up, and it seems rather expensive to go and buy a 2A dimmer when there are a couple of 1A channels available and unused on the existing unit...... Has anyone ever tried this?

minimatt, Jul 9, 2006
  2. minimatt

PSC

If you have 2 feeds to the load put a feed on each channel and allocate the same group address to both channels, then they will switch together.

PSC, Jul 9, 2006
  3. minimatt

mikegriff

Are you sure?
    I didnt think you could do this with Dimmers
    Switches yes But surely with a dimmer this could case problems
    Mike

mikegriff, Jul 11, 2006
  4. minimatt

PSC

Example -

If I had 8 lights. 6 lights are wired to each other with a return feed to the dimmer and the other 2 lights are wired together with a seperate return path; you can wire the first 6 lights to Channel 1 and give it a GA tag of 'Lounge Lights' and connect the other 2 lights to Channel 2 and give it the same GA and they will switch together.

PSC, Jul 11, 2006
  5. minimatt

mikegriff

Fine
    it read at first as if you were adding 2 dimmers together to give greater current to a single load
    Mike

mikegriff, Jul 11, 2006
  6. minimatt

PSC

No, that was Minimatts suggestion.

PSC, Jul 11, 2006
  7. minimatt

Darpa

I'm fairly sure that bridging two dimmer channels together, both in wiring, and in programming (GA), would not be a good idea, at least in the way that I understand how Minimatt put it, because it sounds like he was talking about running ONE cable, as in one active, one neutral, etc, to one or more loads, and hard-wiring two dimmer channels together to run this load/these loads that have a higher current draw than a single dimmer channel can cater for.

I could be wrong though, its just the way that I've interpreted Minimatt's suggestion, but if this IS what you are saying minimatt, then it would be a bad idea, if you are running a single load, then you will need a higher rated dimmer, if you have multiple loads, then split them up, and run another T+E back to your dimmer, so that you have half your loads in question running on one channel, and the other half on the other channel, and simply program both channels with the same GA.

Anyone care to correct me? or am I on the mark??

Darpa, Jul 11, 2006
  8. minimatt

mikegriff

Agreed
    Mike

mikegriff, Jul 11, 2006
Ask a Question