Can CBUS do this with dimming bathroom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by countach, Nov 13, 2006.

1. countach

countach

Having a house built, as I understand where I am (Canberra) there is a regulation that a bathroom with no window must have an exhaust fan come on at the same time as the light. But I want the light to be dimmable. I would appreciate opinions about whether having the light and exhaust fan on separate channels and come on together via programming would fulfill the regulatory requirement that they come on together. Obviously I'm not asking for legal advice, but I would REALLY appreciate just getting an opinion on whether that seems ok. From my point of view, the technology to fulfill the requirement shouldn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2006
    countach, Nov 13, 2006
  2. countach

Ashley W

C-bus can be configured to do as you ask quite easily.

Ashley W, Nov 13, 2006
  3. countach

countach

I know, but do you see any regulatory problem in lights and fans not being hard wired together as conventionally done?

countach, Nov 13, 2006
  4. countach

Darpa

Generally speaking, unless a regulation specifically states how something must be done (which isn't common), as long as the end result complies with the regulation, then as long as you comply with any other regulations relevant (Australian Wiring Codes, etc) then I doubt it would particularly matter if you implemented a dimming light and relay-controlled fan as you have suggested.

In other words, ask your electrician, if he thinks its fine, then you're probably safe to go ahead with the setup you want, because if the regulation just states that the fan and light must come on together, then as long as the fan comes on whenever the light is on (at any level), then theoretically you are complying with the regulation.

NOTE: I have not read the regulation you are talking about, so I have no idea what the "fine print" says, I am simply going by what you have said so far in your posts.

Darpa

Darpa, Nov 13, 2006
  5. countach

Nobes

I have done it this way before without any problems. And to be honest the inspector couldn't care less how it happens behind the scenes. Besides apart from doing a full electrical inspection, how will he know how it is wired.

Nobes, Nov 13, 2006
  6. countach

richms

This reminds me of something I had hoped to have a DLT do in my bathroom when its finished.

I wanted to have a timer for the fan to keep running, with a countdown on the DLT and buttons to add or subtract time from the count. Shame that the D in DLT isnt really.

richms, Dec 2, 2006
  7. countach

darrenblake

Dynamic Labelled Text

I am curious to know how much functionality you expect to get for $260?????

darrenblake, Dec 2, 2006
  8. countach

Phil.H

The big mistake I see being made constantly with flexible technology like C-Bus is making things too complex. It is fine if you are pushing the envelope in your own home as a bit of a hobby but when you are delivering something like this to a customer complication = difficulty in understanding and use and in time, furstration and dissatisfaction.

When I go into my bathroom I have a button for the light and another for the fan. The fan times in the key input for 6 minutes. I use this to let me know if I have been in the shower long enough. If the fan stops and I want some more I simply hit the button again. This is about all the interaction I want with a switch plate whilst coming and going from the bathroom.

When I finish a configuration I always apply this measure. In using this technology have I made it easier than conventional ? Is the technology transparent to the user. If the answer to either is no then start again.

For bathrooms and bedroom hallways I use PIR's with a PAC (late night use). In this case auto dimmed levels (adjusted by a B&W Ctouch) at different times of the night, means I don't have to even hit a button. No that's easier than conventional. ;)

PS - Auto fan control and run on timer etc for building code... As long as it works they don't give a sh%t.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2006
    Phil.H, Dec 2, 2006
  9. countach

richms

I would expect that when I finally get a PAC installed that I have some dynamics to the lables on the switches, rather then just 2 pages of static lables.

And yeah, it can be easy to add to much complexity, but I would think that a countdown and a +/- time thing is easy to grasp by anyone looking at it.

richms, Dec 3, 2006
Ask a Question