Cable for C-Touch - Serial to RJ45

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by JohnC, Apr 19, 2005.

1. JohnC

JohnC

Hi, I am a new member here and whilst I've had many years of experience with C-Bus V1 & 2 I am completely new to C-touch and C-Bus Toolkit.

We're finding that our clients lose the C-touch programming cables - we have had to "donate" our last one from our showroom and now we can't get it back !

I asked the client to draw up the connections for me (which he's done), and I also notice that the RJ45 connections are shown in the C-touch manual. But so far I've found that the cable is not really a "standard" connection type, at least something I can just buy at Dick Smith or similar ?

Is there a place to buy them in Sydney ?

Does anyone have a CLEAR diagram of how to wire one up - I am thinking of chopping a D9 serial cable and getting our IT guy to fit an RJ45 onto it.

Is there anything else I need to know ? Any advce appreciated - I don't even have a C-touch that I can look at or test, so I want to make sure I get the cable correct first go !

Thanks in advance, John

JohnC, Apr 19, 2005
  2. JohnC

Htnut

I dont have a diagram but here are the pinouts. The easiest way to make it is to start with a CAT 5 patch cable and solder the D9 connector on. The pinouts are in the attached file

Attached Files:

Htnut, Apr 19, 2005
  3. JohnC

Rossco

If you go to a electrical wholesaler you can buy a DB9 to RJ45 adaptor which is configurable by pushing the pins in the coroponding wholes in the DB9.
    That way you use any straight through patch lead.
    We have a few of these all with difference lengths of patch leads.

Regards,
    Rossco

Rossco, Apr 19, 2005
  4. JohnC

JohnC

Thanks, Guys !

I'm going home to search my toolbox - sure there were some D9's connectors in there somewhere !

JohnC, Apr 19, 2005
  5. JohnC

Darren Senior Member

The pin-out of the RJ-45 connector is given in the C-Touch installation instructions. It actually is a "standard" pin-out, but unfortunately, there are several "standard" pin-outs for RS-232 using RJ-45 connectors.

The DB-9 connector pin-out is standard (see the back of a Dick Smith catalogue or look it up on the Internet).

Darren, Apr 20, 2005
Ask a Question