c touch slow with ip camera display

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by ven, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ven

ven

hi all,

I have 4 c-touch's in a network of about 90 units. each c-touch has a page with a URL linked to display analouge cctv converted to ip through a axis server.
    On the same page there is 6 scene buttons that switches the dvr in the end.

My problem is that the page containing all this is very slow and when touching a button there is a 6 second delay before the active indication- i asume this is due to lack of memory but any suggestion on how to speed this up?

2nd we have a single channel server and we switch the alarm inputs on the dvr. when changing a selection on the dvr there is quite a delay before reflecting on the c touch. any idees?

ven, Mar 26, 2010
  2. ven

ashleigh Moderator

Does the ctouch have a single web cam image only, on the page?

Do you use alpha blending on that page (or others)?

Its very unlikely to be lack of memory. If it was, you would know - the ctouch would be showing some fairly nasty error messages.

So its more likely to be the response time of the camera (which I admit is actually pretty unlikely), or something about how the page is being drawn on the screen (and usually, alpha blend is the culprit there).

ashleigh, Mar 27, 2010
  3. ven

Darren Senior Member

As Ashleigh said, it is probably not a memory problem. The most likely cause is that the web camera is causing a considerable processor usage which is slowing things down.

If you have more than one web cam on a page, or have a fast refresh rate (more than a couple of frames per second), it will make things a bit sluggish.

Whenever you have a problem with the speed of a colour C-Touch, the number one rule is always to select the "show usage" item in the log to see how busy the processor is. If it is much more than 50%, then it will be not very responsive.

Darren, Mar 28, 2010
  4. ven

Colin Smith

Image Size

Another possibility for you to look at is the actual size of the image you are looking at.

For example: If the image you are capturing is 800 x 600 and you want it to display as it as 200 x 150 on a web page to show on C-Touch. A common error with HTML coding is to specify the image size (height="150" width="200") to get it to the size you want to show it at. What will happen here is that C-Touch will download the 800 x 600 image into memory and then resize the image to the size specified to show on C-Touch
    What needs to happen is to have the image to the size you need it shown and the use the correct size image without re-specifying the image size. If you have the screen divided into four and have an image in each then you are going to see a time lag.

Another possibility is how often the image is updated. The lag could be it waiting for the image - for it to be downloaded.

I have seen issues (Not Related to C-Bus) where a file is written to one computer (From Camera to Server) and then the same file is read by a second computer (C-Touch to Server). What happens is that the file starts to be written to the first computer and before the file is completely written the second computer interrupts the first process and starts to read an uncompleted file. The second computer reads passed the point where the file was interrupted and races off to who knows where and causes mayhem and havoc!
    The wait could be the browser timing out (Due to the trip in to wild blue yonder) It would retry the file and work the next time because the file was finally written correctly in the meantime.

Colin

Colin Smith, Mar 28, 2010
  5. ven

ven

hi all,
    Firstly thanks for the response.
    Ashleigh- There is only one link on the page. I did not use any alpha blending, should I?
    Darren- Currently I have the refresh rate at 1 frame / second. What do u suggest?
    Collin- A little dazed and confused here, how do i get the image to the correct size with out re specifying? -taking into account i could not find anywhere on the server to do so. Possibly on the pvr but it is a third parties instalation so will speak to them.

For intrest: PVR--to--Axis server--to-- 10/100 switch (can the switch speed be of a affect?)--to-- 4 x c-touch. When linking my notebook to the switch and i switch through the c-bus the images changes on the notebook immediatly, still a delay on the c-touch. This tells me the problem is at the varouis c-touches. Or am i stupidly missing something ?

ven, Mar 29, 2010
  6. ven

Darren Senior Member

No. This will slow it down more.

This should be OK.

With some cameras you can either set the image size, or you can select it using the URL.

Check your processor usage as described previously and let us know the results.

Darren, Mar 29, 2010
Ask a Question