C-Touch Power loss monitoring

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by muppets, Apr 14, 2010.

1. muppets

muppets

Curiously I am being lazy but is there any way I can use a C-touch to monitor for a power failure just using the standard hardware (ie Relay outputs etc).

I have an installation in an area susceptable to flickers on the line, I have used a UPS for the C-touch becuase I got so sick of losing the settings ie current irrigation delays etc. Ordinarily if there was a flicker I could use start up code on the C-touch but now it is permanently on I need to find another way to do this "monitoring".

One important reason is I have some sensor lights that usually have the the output always on and rely on their own infrascan but the manufacturer has built in the manual overide function like many others when you turn the light off and on it stays on. I have implemented the re-strike start up delay so that when a person turns them off-on they wait until after the manual overide time to fire up. Unfortunatley the re-strike delay doesn't occur when a power flicker or outage occurs.

Maybe this is something that should be addressed by Clipsal in future relay outputs for large installations that have lighting that need re-strike delays in the event of a power outage for reasons like load sharing/shedding?

Sorry for the long winded question : how can I monitor for a power outage using logic?

muppets, Apr 14, 2010
  2. muppets

Newman

I would find yourself a relay that has:

• a mains-voltage coil; and
    • 3.75KV of isolation between the coil and contacts
    Then, you could connect the relay contacts to the inputs of a bus coupler. That way, a group address can be used to tell you the current state of your circuit.

If you can't find a relay with this isolation rating between the coil and contacts, you can use a C-Bus Auxiliary input unit in lieu of the bus coupler.

Newman, Apr 15, 2010
  3. muppets

ashleigh Moderator

I would add a caution here.

DO NOT USE ANY OLD RELAY.

The isolation Newman mentions is CRITICAL. If you can't get a relay with that level of isolation, keep looking. They are around.

If you use a relay with a lower level of isolation you run the risk of making your entire cbus install live in the event of a fault condition. This is both EXPENSIVE and EMBARRASSING. Not to mention you might be in the poo with the home owner, the insurance company, and more.

ashleigh, Apr 15, 2010
  4. muppets

Ashley

I took the easy way out for a similar problem. Just use a 12 volt plug pack connected to a 12 v relay. Admitedly it uses a bit of standby power, but the latest switch mode plug packs are pretty good efficiency wise and it's a whole lot safer.

Ashley, Apr 15, 2010
  5. muppets

muppets

I like the method described (I also have a 24V PS for the irrigation installed at the CBUS panel) so I think I will use this and a relay - still maintaining good isolation since it would be good practice. I also have a spare input I was going to use as a fire monitoring input that I could use but even if I use a bus coupler they don't cost a lot.

I may even use a contactor which should provide excellent isolation as I believe they may even be less tall mounted on din.

Thanks for the concepts guys - it does surprise me there isn't a logic possibility though maybe it is just not widely known?

EDIT

Sorry guys have re-read the answers

The C-touch is the only thing that has a UPS on it noth the power supplies on the network. If I monitor the coupler it would give an error? Alternatively I haven't checked but I am presuming there is logic that will give an error response I could use to monitor anything that should always normally be healthy when power exists and once it goes to error wait until healthy again and then execute code?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
    muppets, Apr 20, 2010
  6. muppets

Darren Senior Member

In the Colour C-Touch you can have logic do something when C-Bus comes back on-line like this:

Code:
    once GetBoolIBSystemIO("C-Bus State") then
    begin
      { do something here }
    end;

Darren, Apr 21, 2010
  7. muppets

muppets

Great - easy, fast and cheap. All the things I love in a night out. :)

Cheers to those who posted.

muppets, Apr 22, 2010
Ask a Question