C-Touch exceeded memory

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by KayDee, Aug 5, 2004.

1. KayDee

KayDee

Having rekindled my interest in further customising the unit I have proceeded to add, add, add different addresses, scenario's etc and just when I was Hap, hap happy the C-Touch tells me I have exceeded the memory. Damn. :mad:
    The following specs show up in properties:-
    64kb Program
    142kb Bitmap
    36kb Fonts
    151kb Objects
    5kb Other
    -144kb Space
    I am running version 1.2 with firmware upgrade of 1.9

Have searched FAQ's to see what my limits are and a work around but to no avail.
    Can someone enlighten me please
    Thankyou
    Regards
    Kim

KayDee, Aug 5, 2004
  2. KayDee

Wilko

If you are viewing the pie chart under Options -> Show Resources, ignore it. At the risk of sounding negative, it's stupid.

Before a file is downloaded to the C-Touch, it is "stripped down" by the C-Touch software to reduce its size. I'm pretty sure it does this by sharing any repeated images/components between pages rather than store them all separately.

Go to Transfer -> Prepare Download File. It will list the results in a text file, with every component and its size itemised. At the bottom of this lengthy file is a summary of memory usage, and capacity. You'll find that this is a much more attractive figure than that shown in the pie chart.

If you're still pushed for space, try not to have unique graphics, buttons and fonts on every page. The more you repeat the use of items, the more space you'll save.

I often wonder when I'm going to hit the limit of one of these things, but their capacity so far has proven very impressive. In any case, rumour has it that an updated model is on the way. I'm sure it will have more capacity, and I've heard that it's colour...

Cheers

Wilko, Aug 5, 2004
  3. KayDee

Dave Byron

CTouch wipes out Win 98

I have found the following with the Ctouch software reported this to CIS several months ago but without any feed back so far;

The trouble in the PC program not the screen and depends on which windows version you using.

I can only have about 100 buttons (even on one page) before it will not compile on Win98, you get an error message ?canvas? something then wipes out windows and you have to reboot. Same source works on XP.

What I compile on XP can be downloaded to a screen and it works as planned, my trouble is my laptop has win98 so when on site cannot make changes to source and reload.

Suspect the program blows a memory limit and wipes out the windows.

Dave Byron, Aug 5, 2004
  4. KayDee

KayDee

No memory update

Did some fiddling today and went in and removed some of the large fonts and size of the buttons which reduced my file size down to the following
    173434 Config data
    65536 System Memory
    23174 Spare Memory
    262144 C-Touch Memory

This was read as Peter Wilkins suggested from the text file generated from the "Prepare File" command and appears accurate.
    I would then assume the limit to be 262144 bytes as all is well now when uploaded.
    Hope the new version allows more :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the input Peter and Dave and for the record I am using W2K so I don't know if it is window version specific.
    Regards
    Kim

KayDee, Aug 7, 2004
  5. KayDee

Darren Senior Member

See the "Resources" topic in the C-Touch help file for more information.

Darren, Aug 9, 2004
Ask a Question