C Touch Connection problem

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by ColinCamSmith, Nov 25, 2004.

1. ColinCamSmith

Darren Senior Member

This is the first time that this issue has arisen in the two years since the version 4 PCI was released to the best of my knowledge. Unfortunately, the first time a compatibility problem is discovered, it can take a long time to work out the cause of the problem. Most people do not download to C-Touch via C-Bus because it is very slow and you can't update the firmware via C-Bus. This is probably why it hasn't been seen before.

We will endeavour to add the feature to the new C-Touch software to allow downloading via C-Bus (via C-Gate) before the end of the year.

Darren, Dec 2, 2004
  2. ColinCamSmith

ColinCamSmith

Clipsal Defence

Ashleigh,

I note your comments and although I recognise the issues involved with any software/hardware development ( until three years ago I was an EVP of a multinational and IT was one of my responsibilities) you have only come in on the end of a three year saga.

The Homeminder that was fitted will not carry out the functions as advertised in the brochures (especially security). Countless hours were spent on the phone and complaints dismissed by both Adelaide and Sydney.

In April I installed C Touch and expected it to act as advertised. It would not. Until I got personally involved in the forum, the answer, despite many phone calls was not forthcoming.

You make the point that C Bus has been around for > 10 years. C Touch has not. You say you are transitioning all PC based software to a common method of access via C Bus. The PCI as you say was also around for some time and before C Touch. Fine but surely as you developed the PCI you must have had the existing touchscreen in mind as well as the new. This would not have been a leap back to the dark ages but consideration for existing customers and new customers as the B &W screen with its firmware and software is the only one available at the moment.

Consider this. If a customer today reads your brochures and goes to say John R Turks and buys a screen and a PCI they would expect them to be compatible. They would then spend the countless hours as would probably the integrator (at their cost) trying to resolve the problem. (We had a C Touch guru from one of your major national customers here for half a day and he could not find the problem even with help from Adelaide).

I should also make the point that from the forum you will note that others have had the same problem but I am not prepared to start cutting holes in the wall as they have to do to rectify a lack of planning or consideration by Clipsal.

In summary Ashleigh your argument does not stack up as surely units that are sold at the same time and described in the same documentation should be compatible.

Further, the compatiblity of your products leaves a lot to be desired. For example and as a small issue. C Touch can not be used to adjust the temperature on C Bus (see numerous forum comments). I have had to design a work-round using Minder sensors for control through C Touch and C Bus sensors to show the temperature in C Touch. More money

My point here is that your product development seems to assume ( as does my integrator from time to time) that we the customers live with the shortfalls in performance and compatibility until the new product comes on the market. i.e you throw out the old and install the new and to hell with the dollars.

Well here is one guy who believes a product should act as advertised and as I have told my integrator, unless I see a marked improvement in product compatibility and functionality I will not be doing an extensive fitout at my farm.

Regards,

Colin

PS Sometimes silence is the best form of defence

ColinCamSmith, Dec 3, 2004
  3. ColinCamSmith

ashleigh Moderator

Sadly, Minder was produced by another company and re-badged.

As Darren has pointed out, resolving strange and previously unknown defects is difficult and time-consuming. Site visits are difficult politically, and often surprisingly unhelpful. Diagnosing this problem has not been at all easy. 99.99% of installations have no problems at all.

True. The touchscreen is one of many products based on a PCI. We are also all human. As I said - show me defect-free software and I will show you a liar.

Of many thousands of touchscreens sold, this is the FIRST time this is reported. If we were perfect, we would be walking on water in our spare time, fixing the balance of trade, lowering house prices and ensuring full employment :)

True.

Possibly. But new software expected out in the next couple of weeks resolves this, and moves to a new and more flexible method of C-Bus access. Like many products, there is a transition period. Again, in a perfect world, every product would magically transition on a single day, and function perfectly. I'm sure your previous experience in IT has shown how difficult, expensive and rare this is. In about 2 more weeks it will be a non-issue.

I don't think this is the case. There have been a number of people trying to re-program a C-Touch using long serial cables, and having trouble. As previously pointed out, long serial cables are a no-no at high data rates. After working through the specifics of the problem, this is the first report of this specific issue.

Yes, they should. In a perfect world. And when the software update is released the problem will go away. In the meantime having found the problem, we have, within a day of a conclusive diagnosis, made the offer to provide you with a short-term fix, for free. The "perfect" long-term solution is one we hope to have out within the next couple of weeks.

Having dumped a bucket all over Clipsal (and you will notice that the posts have not been deleted), I think its now time to cease this public slanging match. I welcome the opportunity to continue this conversation outside this public forum. If you have other specific examples of products that don't inter-operate, or products that don't meet your expectations, please private message me I can follow up.

ashleigh, Dec 3, 2004
  4. ColinCamSmith

ColinCamSmith

Darren,

Short on time but are you saying I now need to add C Gate if I upgrade to the new software to make C Touch compatible with the latest PCI (notwithstanding you are supplying a PCI V<4.00).

Ashleigh,

If you want the whole 9 yards and a Clipsal representitive is prepared to sit down and talk to a customer without continually making excuses I am more than happy to point out offline the issues a customer must face. Providing of course I am not wasting my time as has been the experience with your marketing people in Sydney.

Regards,

Colin

ColinCamSmith, Dec 3, 2004
  5. ColinCamSmith

rune

Colin,

I didn't read all the posts in detail, but I had the same issue in my own house and I solved it by adding a USB to serial adapter to my computer hence giving it three serial connections so that I can connect to C-Bus, C-Touch and the security system all at the same time without repatching.

Just thought I'd let you know, in case that will solve your problem - although it is not a solution as to how to program the C-Touch over C-Bus.

All the best,
    Rune

rune, Dec 3, 2004
  6. ColinCamSmith

Richo

Hi Colin,

I want to make sure you understand that the new software to be released "real soon now" is a FREE update to the current C-Touch Configuration software. It is true this software uses C-Gate for programmiing, but so does ALL our software now. C-Gate is FREE for PROGRAMMING.

So to be really clear this software update that solves the reported error is FREE. If it was something that would cost money we can understand the hesitation to upgrade, no one wants to be stuck on the upgrade merry-go-round for bug fixes.

Clipsal has a very repsonsible attitude to software, most of the software we produce is FREE and the few items that cost money are items that add significant functionality to a C-Bus system above and beyond commissioning or programming functionality.

If you do talk to Ashliegh (or Darren or Newman) offline these guys are the senior most engineers developing the hardware products. There is no more authoritive source. These guys can directly investigate any engeering issue to its ultimate conclusion. I would take up the offer :)

Richo, Dec 4, 2004
  7. ColinCamSmith

ColinCamSmith

Darren, Richo and Ashleigh,

The V3.11 PCI works a treat with a 1.8 metre cable from the PC. Next step is to put the PC back in the cabinet (upstairs for the last time) and try it again. As it is only 13 metres there should not be any problems.

Thanks & regards,

Colin

ColinCamSmith, Dec 10, 2004
  8. ColinCamSmith

ashleigh Moderator

Excellent!

ashleigh, Dec 10, 2004
  9. ColinCamSmith

ColinCamSmith

Asleigh,

One small glitch thta I have noted and can not find the answer in the forum but I think I have seen it somewhere.

The C Touch unit has now had a total of four full downloads (i direct and 3 via the PCI)

I have noted that the text on the screen has become scratchy ( or to put it more simply, the letters look as though thye had had mice nibbling away at the edges) Does not look too pretty so I hope there is an answer.

I do vaguely remember reading somewhere about this problem and font selection although I have not changed the font between downloads.

Look forward to your response,

Regards,

Colin

PS have not tried from upstairs as I am waiting on a RS232 plug before the PC goes back into the cabinet)

CCS

ColinCamSmith, Dec 11, 2004
  10. ColinCamSmith

ColinCamSmith

Ashleigh,

Forget I asked the above. I think I have found the problem and will check when I set-up again. It relates to screen smoothing which must be off apparently.

Regards,

Colin

ColinCamSmith, Dec 11, 2004
  11. ColinCamSmith

Darren Senior Member

You are correct - it does relate to Windows "smooth fonts" which must be switched off. The FAQ describes this.

Darren, Dec 13, 2004
Ask a Question