C-Gate service not starting

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by znelbok, Nov 13, 2017.

1. znelbok

znelbok

Hi All

I have installed C-Gate as a service and it is set to start automatically with delay.

After a reboot though it is not starting for some reason. Starts fine if I manually start it.

What am I doing wrong?

As a temporary fix I am running a scheduled task as startup that will start the service, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a service that is set to auto start?

Any ideas

Mick

znelbok, Nov 13, 2017
  2. znelbok

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hiya, any particular reason it is set to delayed start?

I've not used the "Automatic (Delayed Start)" option before but from what I understand it makes the service wait until all the "Automatic" services have started first which could take 1-2 minutes after boot.

I imagine it's unlikely an issue with a prior service could possibly block C-Gate from starting. But just in case you can use the Event Viewer (Windows Logs > System) to see if anything disastrous is going on with the other services.

Is the service set up to log on as a particular user?

Also sometimes a service will start and then almost immediately stop afterwards. The C-Gate service could conceivably do this in certain situations, for example if there was already a C-Gate instance running via some other means. You can look in C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\logs\wrapper.txt to see whether the service actually tried to start or not, search for the keyword "YAJSW:" to find the beginning of each C-Gate launch. For all intents and purposes, this wrapper.txt log is essentially the same output that used to be printed in the C-Gate console window.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

daniel, Nov 14, 2017
  3. znelbok

bykovo

Hello folks,
    usually this happens when the system and/or disk operations are inexcusably slow. By default Windows allows 30s timeout for service to start. If delay is larger, Windows abandon the service and make an error record in Event viewer. To overcome this one should upgrade the disk to SSD OR increase the new timeout value in registry. Just edit|/create a DWORD32 entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServicesPipeTimeout. For me the decimal value of 18000 (in ms=180s=3 min) worked just fine.

Hope this helps.

bykovo, Dec 5, 2021
Ask a Question