C-Gate not starting.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by pbelectrical, Jul 25, 2012.

1. pbelectrical

pbelectrical

Yesterday my laptop was updated with Toolkit 1.12.1 and PICED 4.11.0, at the time of the update it was being used to configure a WISER and all seemed to be ok, we could access the wiser, the c-bus network and the colour touchscreen throught the CNI via the wireless network. However today when I try to open Toolkit or PICED I get a message that C-Gate has failed to start and I cannot access any of my projects. I have tried to manually start C-Gate but it seems to either not run or shut straight down again. Any help would be appreciated. The laptop is running Windows XP pro, version 2002, service pack 3.

pbelectrical, Jul 25, 2012
  2. pbelectrical

AndrewN Legend

Hi Peter,

To help us narrow in on the issue can you please provide the following info:

1. Did C-Gate ever work with 1.12.1 or was it working "yesterday" on a different version?
    2. What version did you upgrade from? 1.11.x or earlier, or 1.12.0.
    3. If you run c-gate from a command prompt, what is the output?

This is done by:
    Start->run> enter "cmd" without quotes. (opens black window)

Navigate to c:\clipsal\c-gate2. (or where ever you installed c-gate to)
    (using commands in command prompt window:
    C:
    cd\clipsal\c-gate2
    )

enter "java -jar cgate.jar" without quotes into command prompt window

AndrewN, Jul 26, 2012
  3. pbelectrical

Newman

It's also worth checking which C-Gate option was selected when Toolkit was installed. Was C-Gate installed as a service? If so, is the service running?

Newman, Jul 26, 2012
  4. pbelectrical

Charlie Crackle

I had this issue on window 7 laptop today. Was working fine for 2 days prior and now cgate will not start.

Reinstalled tool kit and included java and still would not start.

installed the latest java and then it started working again.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jul 26, 2012
  5. pbelectrical

pbelectrical

Gave this a try and it worked for me too. Thanks all for the replies.

pbelectrical, Jul 27, 2012
  6. pbelectrical

UK Household Automation

I too had a problem like this, and even though Java seemed to be up to date on my PC I found that un-installing all Java components and re-installing from the Java website was the only thing that kicked C-Gate back to life! Well done Charlie Crackle!

UK Household Automation, Aug 20, 2012
  7. pbelectrical

Robbo_VIC

I had this problem as well with a Windows 7 64-bit Laptop. Installed the latest toolkit with c-gate as a service using the roundabout method explained somewhere here on the forums with a different version of java. Had it working fine at a few sites. Then this week i went to program a customers site and the c-gate service would not start.

Un-installed toolkit and the service and went back to the previous version and was able to connect to cbus networks again. Unfortunately i don't have enough time to be troubleshooting what is causing the problem and it was easier just to return to the previous version.

Robbo_VIC, Aug 23, 2012
  8. pbelectrical

arrikhan

Do you know if it was 32bit or 64bit java?

I'm installing on a new PC from scratch under Windows8 with latest PICED/CGATE Toolkit and it fails to load CGATE. Tried turning all firewalls off but no change. Installed both 32 and 64bit versions of Java and no go.

I upgraded my Win7 build to latest PICED/CGATE and it stopped working also.

I may just have to downgrade.

It's simple things like these that waste hours and money that people can't afford.

Regards

BenC

arrikhan, Dec 23, 2012
  9. pbelectrical

arrikhan

Am assuming you're yet to fix this?

BenC

arrikhan, Dec 23, 2012
  10. pbelectrical

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi arrikhan (BenC),

All the previous posters in this thread were using Toolkit 1.12.0 or 1.12.1 which had some problems with certain installations of Windows 7, Java 7, 64-bit, etc. Some workarounds were posted for these versions.

Subsequent Toolkit releases (latest being 1.12.5) were made specifically to address these problems, removing the need for workarounds. Note that one of these changes was the use of a private JRE, so installing/uninstalling Java yourself no longer has any impact on the software.

For your Windows 8 install: Our testing team are unable to test on Win8 at this time so we can't offer much support I'm afraid. There is one possible solution posted here: http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8892

For your Windows 7 install: If you are using Toolkit 1.12.5 it is possible you may have a different scenario we haven't yet encountered - if so, could you give a little more detail - versions of software in use, error displayed if any?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    daniel, Jan 7, 2013
Ask a Question