C-bus wireless V x10

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by wireless noob, Apr 27, 2009.

1. wireless noob

wireless noob

Hi all,
    A bit of background, I am in the process of building a house with building company, and the cost of installing a wired C-bus system was huge, mostly because it had to go through their company etc, hence I started looking at installing X10 products once the building was complete.

Can the good people on the c-bus forums tell me the differences between C-bus wireless and the X 10 products?
    I?m talking functionality, features, usability, i.e does the C-bus wireless address the faults /issues (i.e slow response. you know the issues,) of the X10 system or is the same thing with a clipsal sticker on it?

I'm happy pay extra to install a superior product.

wireless noob, Apr 27, 2009
  2. wireless noob

daniel C-Busser Moderator

daniel, Apr 28, 2009
  3. wireless noob

wireless noob

Thanks Daniel,
    I have read the thread and in the process of re reading it, it focuses on the cbus system i.e. the normal "wired" solution and not specifically the cbus "wireless" solution.

Does c-bus wireless address the 256 device limit?
    R hamer wrote "X10 is about the most unreliable control system I have ever had the misfortune of trying to use." why is c-bus wireless more reliable?

I understand the differences from a c-bus "wired" solution against using existing wiring for X10. C-bus will win hands down.

But why is the c-bus "wireless" solution (which uses existing wiring) better than X10?

Again I ask, does the C-bus ?wireless? solution address the faults /issues of the X10 system or is the same thing with a clipsal sticker on it?

thanks

wireless noob, Apr 28, 2009
  4. wireless noob

Newman

C-Bus Wireless devices communicate in an entirely different way to X-10 devices. X-10 devices use mains signalling on top of the 240V wiring. C-Bus Wireless devices communicate using encrypted radio frequency. The 240V mains connections are used to power the units and to control the load only.

Newman, Apr 29, 2009
  5. wireless noob

rhamer

And I still stand by that comment :D

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 29, 2009
  6. wireless noob

znelbok

While I have never had the privileged of using X10, I will attempt to answer the question

X10 was designed to work over power lines (already stated). These are notoriously noisy and any data that is to be sent across them is slow (to overcome bad data and limitations of the technology) and susceptible to data loss.

Wireless C-bus only uses the power lines for power, not for data. The wireless comms is a dedicated network for C-bus commands only. It is much faster and not competing with noise from the power lines like X10.

You can see this difference in the M1 alarm panel. it supports both X10 and C-bus. X10 commands can only be sent at 1 per second. C-bus are sent much faster than this and they have a setting in the config to allow for this difference.

So C-Bus is not a re-badged X10 product and by going with C-bus you will have no regrets. You will still need a wired portion of the network for all your loads (lights) that are connected to dimmers and relays, so thinking that you can just screw in the new switches and get the lot going is over-simplifying it considerably. Some thought needs to be put into the wiring of the loads so that you can easily retrofit the hardware afterwards.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 29, 2009
  7. wireless noob

ashleigh Moderator

I should also point out that cbus wireless uses RF for the communication of the cbus commands, and the commands are the same in the wired and wireless products. This means that the level of compatibility is, naturally, extremely high.

BUT - and there is always a BUT:

Cbus wireless is not infallible. It has its place for difficult locations, and clusters where you want things to be controllable from different locations. You can't get 1 km of range out of cbus wireless (like you get 1 km of cbus cable). The installed range varies depending on the building materials used. Putting cbus wireless into a huge big building and expecting identical performance to a wired product WILL lead to disappointment. Keep things in clusters of diameter about 20 metres [Australian product, 433 MHz] and the results will a lot happier. [Other countries, and frequencies, the suggested size of a cluster differs.]

Likewise, buildings with vast amounts of metal in will cause a range reduction (we had a famous case of a long thin building - in the middle of the building was a kitchen, with a stainless steel splashback along one entire wall, which bisected the building. Strangely enough, communication from one side of the lump of steel to the other wise was not very good.)

It's another tool in the toolbox, not a magic solution for every problem known to man.

ashleigh, Apr 30, 2009
  8. wireless noob

______.

Not quite right here. You can buy the C-bs Wireless switches with inbuilt dimmers and relays (Up to 2 channels i think) so in fact if you don't have anymore then 2 switched loads in a location (or happy to join some together) you can just pull off the 240V switches and swap them with C-Bus wireless ones.

As ashleigh said range can be an issue with the switches so do try to keep the distance (and building materials) between switches to a few metres.

______., Apr 30, 2009
  9. wireless noob

znelbok

Yeah sorry my bad - thanks for correcting me

Mick

znelbok, Apr 30, 2009
  10. wireless noob

wireless noob

Thanks all for your responses, It was a huge help.
    anyone know any installers to quote up a solution in the western suburbs of Melbourne?:D

wireless noob, May 1, 2009
Ask a Question