C-Bus Wireless Gateway 5800 and elk-m1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slampt, Aug 18, 2007.

1. slampt

slampt

Hey Guys,

I am looking into HA, I currently have an elk-m1g installed in my house and I would like this to start controlling the lights. I was looking at C-bus and saw that they have a wireless solution, I was wondering if I get the 5800 and a couple of these in wall dimmers could I achieve the following

1) Connect the cbus 5800 to the m1 (is this possible what hardware would be needed?)

2) Control the Wall switches using the m1 to turn on/off or even dim the lights in said room.

3) recieve status information back from the cbus devices so if I was to manually use the light switch the m1 would know about it.

I am trying to find a solution to automate my lighting by using the m1 as the controlling platform (at this stage anyway) I will most likely install a front end HA Suite on a PC but thats a long time coming :p

TIA
    Joe

slampt, Aug 18, 2007
  2. slampt

znelbok

1) - It is possible with the C-Bus interface that is available for the M1. You want the V2 board that is two way and not the V1 board.

2) - Not sure what you want to do here. When you use the M1 to turn on a group the wall switch will also show that the group is on (as long as it is programmed with that group).

3) - This is what the c-bus interface does, allows the M1 to keep track of the status of the system and execute rules based on group levels.

You will need a fully functioning wireless network, then it has to communicate with a wired network and then you will add the M1 into the wired network.

You have not indicated what you want to do with the automation part of the lighting, but C-Bus has scenes that will give you a level of automation. What it does allow is for loads on the M1 to be controlled by C-Bus switches, and loads on the C-bus outputs to be controlled by the M1 through PIR's, rules etc. A PAC may be better suited, but I have found that the M1 is pretty flexible, but has limitations.

Mick

If you want a front end HA program, have a look at CQC (www.charmedquark.com) as it has both a M1 driver and a c-bus driver. I dont believe that the offerings from Clipsal will integrate with the M1 natively.

znelbok, Aug 18, 2007
  3. slampt

ashleigh Moderator

The M1 automation / scripting / logic processing etc is offered by Ness.

You can contact them for more information.

The interface between the M1 and C-Bus has been tested by Clipsal and I believe it has been granted a C-Bus Enabled certificate.

This generally means that the interface does what it says it does, it does not mean that Clipsal can make any claims about how good the device is in terms of what it does: capabilities, limits, etc etc.

Clipsal also have a few offerings that might be of interest, depending on budget. These start with small touchscreens, there is also a colour one, and if you want to run on a PC you can use the HomeGate software.

Provided all the different devices are configured correctly they should all happily play alongside each other in the same pig-pen.

ashleigh, Aug 18, 2007
  4. slampt

NickD Moderator

Also.. the wireless gateway needs a functioning wired network to power it, so you will need a C-Bus power supply.

Nick

NickD, Aug 19, 2007
  5. slampt

Shepard

M1 V Concept

All talk is about "M1". I have used concept 4000 with new concept touch screen to control both alarm and cbus with great results! I admittedly haven't looked at the M1! Does it do more than a concept??

Shepard, Aug 20, 2007
  6. slampt

ashleigh Moderator

It may.

Clipsal and Inner Range have not had a great deal of communication for some time. The Inner Range Concept series are immensely powerful alarm systems. At one time a basic integration with C-Bus lighting was offered, and I think there may be some moves to improve that.

However, Clipsal have no knowledge of any improvements either made or contemplated.

Be nice to see though!

ashleigh, Aug 20, 2007
  7. slampt

PSC

Shepard,

As Ashleigh said the communication between Concept and C-Bus is very basic and has not changed over recent years.

However, the M1 panel offers superior communication with C-Bus. Two way C-Bus comms, M1 keypad light toggling / status, M1 logic engine etc.

Don't get me wrong I still think the Concept is a better security system, but when it comes to integration / home automation the M1 is a clear winner.

PSC, Aug 20, 2007
  8. slampt

Shepard

Concept has two way comms, keypad or touchscreen indicates state of output. Groups can be toggled or timed from keypad or touchscreen. It has calculated auxilaries for logic which can also be validated by timezones. It can also control two separate cbus applications.

Do I sound like I've been programed:eek:

Shepard, Aug 21, 2007
  9. slampt

PSC

Shepard,

You don't have to convince me about Concept, I'm a Inner Range Advanced Technician.

C-Bus groups can not be toggled from 1 button on the LCD keypad, the LCD keypad does not offer C-Bus or any other form of illuminated button status.

Timezones do not offer sunrise / sunset features.

The Concept logic does not compare with the M1.

Honestly, get hold of a M1 and try it for yourself.

PSC, Aug 21, 2007
Ask a Question