C-Bus Wireless - Freq question

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by Max-power, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Max-power

Max-power

Hi,

I've just purchased a Logitech Harmony 1000i and I'm looking for an RF light switch to work with it.

I've tracked down the tech Specs of the C-Bus wireless AU units which lists the RF as 433.92MHz.

My problem is I found this info on my device...
    -----------------------
    Q: Will the H890 control my RF devices?
    A: The RF frequency the H890 can control is 908.42 MHz. This RF frequency is known as Z-waveTM. Your RF device needs to use the Z-wave RF frequency in order for the H890 to control it
    ----------------------

Which leads me to my question, is this 433Mhz RF frequency an Australian thing? do Ulti switches from other markets operate on this 908Mhz?

Appreciate any assistance you can give.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
    Max-power, Jun 18, 2007
  2. Max-power

Duncan

Regardless of the frequency it will be impossible to get the Harmony remote to control your C-Bus Wireless Devices..

Duncan, Jun 18, 2007
  3. Max-power

Max-power

Thanks for the quick (somewhat sad) reply Duncan.

Is this to do with the ID code/encryption that Clipsal use?

This is now OT but you seem to know a bit about wireless so I figure I'll ask... You couldn't recommend any other light switches that could be controlled by a universal like this?

Max-power, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Max-power

Duncan

You seem keen on wireless.. had you considered a ceiling mounted Wired C-Bus IR device.. perhaps the Multisensor? Not as foolproof as an RF device but perhaps a good solution to get some lighting control into your room.. you'd need either retrofitted C-Bus Wireless switches and a Wireless Gateway or your need to rewire your lights back to Wired C-Bus Output Units..

I'm not really familiar with any other wireless devices..

Duncan, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Max-power

ashleigh Moderator

Ulti / EZ-install switches sold in some Asian countries operate at 315 MHz, in other countries at 433.92 MHz.

C-Bus wireless in Australia operates at 433.92 MHz, and versions in some Asian countries are also at 315 MHz.

C-Bus wireless for USA will operate at 916 MHz.

You remote *should* operate other Z-wave based devices. There are not many of those in Australia, certainly not from big-name brands.

ashleigh, Jun 18, 2007
  6. Max-power

Max-power

Thanks again Duncan...

yeah I am pretty sold on the wireless only reason being is I only have one switch (small apartment) that I'm trying to get control over.

The the wireless gateway sounds interesting if not expensive. I take it the gateway is just that.. it converts IR or RF from other devices into Cbus signal??

Ashleigh, interesting info.. I think the remote is geared more towards the US (as is everything) so I might pose the question to clipsal US.

Max-power, Jun 18, 2007
  7. Max-power

Darpa

I could be way off the mark here, but are you sure you're approaching this from the right angle? If you're trying to control just a single switch, or single group of loads all controlled by switches on the same plate, there has got to be smarter ways of doing this than trying to force two incompatible technologies together.

It sounds like one way to go would to be to put some kind of control system in place of your existing wall plate, that accepts Infra-Red control, and to use one of any number of Universal Remotes that can control IR devices.

There are a ton of reasons why you will never (feasibly) be able to get that Logitech remote to speak to C-Bus Wireless, and all the Wireless Gateway is really designed to do is to interface wireless C-Bus units to a wired C-Bus network.
    If you can describe exactly what you're trying to achieve, and what equipment you already have, that you want to control, or want to use to control, then there are some VERGYG smart people on here who I'm sure could come up with any number of ingenious ideas that will solve your problem quick-smart.

Just a thought...

Darpa, Jun 18, 2007
  8. Max-power

ashleigh Moderator

You could just use a C-Bus Wireless remote control (battery operated, looks mighty nice) to remotely operate your single wall switch.

It might not be your fandangled thing but it will be cheap and effective.

ashleigh, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Max-power

Max-power

Hey Darpa,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, your right maybe I should take it back a step and describe what I'm trying to achieve.

I've just purchased the above remote which operates on the z-wave freq. Logitech have a massive database of supported RF devices and if there's something they don't have you can email them and they'll add it.

I have a 52sq mtr apartment which has a light switch near the door that controls two circuits. The switch is about 7 meters away from my home entertainment system which is where the remote will be operating from.

Given the distance (about 7 meters) I'm probably about 3 meters too far away from being able to control them by IR.

The common ground I'm looking for is RF, it seems C-Bus wireless isn't embracing the universal remote concept tho.

Fandangled.. ha.. yeah but see then I'm just going backwards again. I bought my new shiny to replace 5 remote's that I use just to watch a video or my xbox.

The dream is to press 'movie' and the DVD kicks in, TV switches over, lamp dims and lights go out. And the only thing standing between this and my dream is 1 RF lightswitch and a 240volt power point controller.

Max-power, Jun 18, 2007
  10. Max-power

PSC

Just because your remote is RF it doesn't mean that you will automatically control all RF devices.

Try and get your Logitech remote to control your garage door opener... That's RF.

You can control C-Bus via IR, RF, WiFi to name a few, just not the way you think it should work...

My suggestion would have been choose a lighting system first, and find a remote control that will work with that system.

Let's face it, when you are buying a car you don't choose the wheels first, and then find a car that fits those wheels :confused:

Anyway, Microsoft and Leviton are working together to create a z-wave lighting control system, so maybe if you wait a few years you might be able to use your Logitech remote control... ;)

PSC, Jun 19, 2007
  11. Max-power

Max-power

“You can control C-Bus via IR, RF, WiFi to name a few, just not the way you think it should work.”
    I received an email from C-bus advising they use a propriety protocol… which explains why a universal can't control their switches. But that concept confuses me, isn’t one of it’s main goals to converge technologies/operation? It’s 2007 I should be driving around in my hover car.. not worrying about wether different wireless components are compatible.

“Let's face it, when you are buying a car you don't choose the wheels first, and then find a car that fits those wheels “
    I get your analogy but don’t forget I’m only trying to control one light switch here.. so fitting a C-bus system would be more like buying a Ferrari to drive down and get the milk. Convergence is my main goal with automation a nice afterthought.

“Anyway, Microsoft and Leviton are working together to create a z-wave lighting control system, so maybe if you wait a few years you might be able to use your Logitech remote control...”
    Well at least that’s something I can take away. I don’t know much about home automation but from an outsiders point of view I’m surprised this stuff isn’t all TCP/IP or at least an open standard.

Also for anyone else looking for zwave products http://www.zwaveproducts.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
    Max-power, Jun 19, 2007
  12. Max-power

ashleigh Moderator

Be vewy vewy careful. Lotsa 120 V yankee products that either won't work in Australia, or will be non-EMC compliant and illegal.

There are many RF standards, some proprietary, some open. Z-Wave is actually NOT an open standard. Its open in the sense that you can buy a chipset to do the RF communication - just like Clipsal will sell a chipset to those who want C-Bus integration in their products under the C-Bus Enabled program.

Clipsal RF remotes use a protocol that pre-dates Z-Wave, just like one of the big-selling USA based RF lighting control systems - Radio-Ra from Lutron.

Such is life.

ashleigh, Jun 19, 2007
  13. Max-power

Max-power

Max-power, Jun 19, 2007
  14. Max-power

eleroAustralia

elero also looked at the different frequencies in Australia since in Europe building automation system operate on 868MHz which doesn't allows permanent transmission (and so does our remote control system for the blinds) which GREATLY reduced interference chances.
    However, 868MHz is not possible to use in Australia legally for that purpose (I think it is used by Military)
    So for Australia elero had to look at other frequency bands. We ended up with 915.3MHz (I think it is legal to use from 915MHz (exclusive) to 925MHz, HOWEVER you need C-tick (radio) approval for operating those in Australia!) Since 915.3 is also legal in other countries (US) where 868 isn't.
    And I believe 908 is right in the middle of not being legal in Australia. Better check that your not messing up someone elses Radio system by using your remote ;)

eleroAustralia, Aug 9, 2007
  15. Max-power

JohnC

Sounds to me like the problem is the Harmony remote, which only handles a relatively small portion of the RF band. In my mind it's not Clipsal's fault if the "universal remote" that you chose is not completely "universal" in it's frequency range or ability to deal with various communication protocols.

I have the same difficulty with Foxtel IQ (Pace) decoder box, and some of my older learning remotes and IR repeaters. These older devices are not capable of communicating at the frequencies that my new Foxtel box's IR uses. Now - is that incompatability the fault of the Foxtel box or the remote?

JohnC, Aug 13, 2007
Ask a Question