C-Bus Wireless D.I.Y

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by whitford, Oct 30, 2008.

1. whitford

whitford

Currently I've got 1 x 5 gang conventional switch and another 1 x 6 gang conventional switches that I want to automate.

The 6 gang is an indoor switch for my living area, and kitchen. With those I want to be able to create "scene".

However, with the 5 gang one, it is an outdoor light / water feature / alfresco area switches. I want to be able to schedule on / off time for the outdoor.

I've got a good friend who is an electrician, so he can do the 240v wiring, but I'll do the rest - i.e., if it needs programming etc. My friend has never done clipsal c-bus wireless before.

Question:
    - Is this possible? i.e, replacing 6 gang with a 6 gang of c-bus wireless, or the 2 channel / switch with c-bus wireless means you can only replace max a 2 gang conventional switches with the c-bus switches?

- How do you "schedule". Does that means you have to connect that to a wired c-bus and program it from there? As I believe only does "timer", and "dimming", and "remote control"?

- Where to buy in Perth - Australia?

Thanks,
    James

whitford, Oct 30, 2008
  2. whitford

Simon W

Hi James

you are correct in saying the the maximum number of channels on a C-Bus Wireless wall switch is 2; meaning that if you want to replace an existing 6 gang and 5 gang you would need to create a work around.

For example, you can control 2 of the loads with the replacement C-Bus Wireless switch, then connect the extra loads to either more C-Bus Wireless switches (which can be hidden or located elsewhere), or with plug adaptors plugged into a power point (out of the weather) in the case of your water feature.

I have heard of people installing the extra switches in pantrys - keeping in mind that the loads can be controlled by the spare buttons on the switches that are located in the origional position.

You are also correct in saying that the C-Bus Wireless switches can do timers, dimming and remote control but NOT schedules. You would require some wired C-Bus products such as a black and white touch screen, or a pascal automation controller, along with a C-Bus power supply and a C-Bus Wireless Gateway.

Not the most elegant or inexpensive retrofit solution - but it can be done.

I know that Perth has challenges with the solid brick consruction, however I believe you would be better off biting the bullet and putting in wired C-Bus for the whole thing.

Simon W, Nov 10, 2008
  3. whitford

[email protected]

Hi all, sorry i just happen to past by here. I saw u guys mentionning water features,, what kind of water features does it support?

Thanks!

[email protected], Jan 12, 2009
  4. whitford

filpee

Plug adapters i believe are rated to switch a 10amp load.

So if you were to keep the adapter out of the weather and the water feature draws less than 10amps you could control it.

Any water feature drawing less then 10amps can be controlled wireless.

filpee, Jan 12, 2009
  5. whitford

[email protected]

Any water feature drawing less then 10amps can be controlled wireless.

This means that i can fill my tub with water by controlling using rc?

[email protected], Jan 12, 2009
  6. whitford

filpee

Im no plumber.. but sure why not.

Would just be some sort of glorified retic system. :D

filpee, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question