C Bus toolkit on USB Thumbdrive

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Grahamiwa, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Grahamiwa

Grahamiwa

How can I install the C Bus toolkit on a usb thumbdrive so I can use it on any laptop.

I have tried downloading the latest version and installing it on a thumbdrive. It works fine on my laptop but when put into another laptop I get an error message like "Unable to connect to C Gate server".

Grahamiwa, Apr 5, 2012
  2. Grahamiwa

znelbok

What you are looking for is to have toolkit as a portable applicaiton.

I think this is a great idea

Mick

znelbok, Apr 5, 2012
  3. Grahamiwa

AndrewN Legend

It should be possible... but definitely not something I would recommend.

The main issue you will have is managing the Windows registry...
    Note: editing Windows Registry is alwasy at your own risk.

When installing Toolkit, several keys are saved to the registry that point to C-Gate you'll need to extract these to a .reg file which travels on the USB stick. You'll then need to import the registry keys into the computer you plug the USB stick into before running Toolkit. You'll need to ensure the USB stick has the same drive letter, or you'll need to edit this .reg file before every use.
    Note: this will stop any other Toolkit installation from working on that computer.

The registry is used to save some user configuration data, eg. default layouts, 'don't show me again' messages, and Toolkit Preferences. These will not travel on the USB stick (unless you export the registry every time after using Toolkit)

The computer you run C-Gate on must have Java installed.

AndrewN, Apr 26, 2012
Ask a Question