C-Bus to SmartThings Integration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeorgeKosmas, Apr 20, 2018.

1. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Hi Everyone,
    Has anyone integrated C-Bus with Smart Things?

I would imagine it could be some form of script that would run on a C-Gate server but i know the knowledge on the SmartThings side of things.

GeorgeKosmas, Apr 20, 2018
  2. GeorgeKosmas

jboer

Hey,

So I am currently working on this exact thing, at the moment the best (read easiest) option I have found is to have an Arduino (or ESP board) running ST_Anything as a translator and then making a simple serial protocol between a PAC or SHAC and the Arduino.

I am still waiting for my hub to arrive from the US but I have the serial working ok, I am just focusing on sharing binary states between the systems for now. (Relays, switches ect) Ill post back with some more detail if you are still interested when I get it all up and working.

J

jboer, Jun 17, 2018
  3. GeorgeKosmas

GeorgeKosmas

Hi Jboer,
    That is excellent news.

C-Bus needs to integrate into SmartThings as well as HomeKit to keep in line with the market.

Please let me know if you need a tester or help with setting this up. I will be happy to work with you on this if you need the assistance.

Regards,
    G

W: www.techontap.com.au/automation

GeorgeKosmas, Jun 18, 2018
    jboer likes this.
  4. GeorgeKosmas

jboer

Hi George,

Just to give an update, I have successfully gotten C-Bus and Smartthings to work together with about 20 binary channels by cobbling together serial comms between the SHAC and Arduino Mega and then using the ST_Anything libraries and code with a few modifications to do the R/W with SmartThings.

It would not be suitable for a large install and at the moment because I am just using some basic serial commands ,ramping and analog is not possible. While what I have done works for my needs, I think if you wanted to go further, the place to start looking would be at a Pi and Node.js as there are libraries for that which support both talking into C-Gate and ST.

jboer, Jul 12, 2018
  5. GeorgeKosmas

jboer

Also generally, watch this space, as from a few discussions with the related parties, it looks like SmartThings is going to land officially in Aus toward the end of this year. If Samsung can get around to getting the Classic and Connect platforms migrated it will be a pretty cool thing to have supported in Australia.

jboer, Jul 12, 2018
  6. GeorgeKosmas

chromus

@jboer I spent 2 hours on the phone with Samsung last week trying to get their Connect App to talk to my washer and robo-vac. The call centre script monkey was obviously flustered by 2 hours and “can I put u on hold while I talk again to my supervisor..” followed by beep beep beep of the hang up.

Their software freaks out in dual 5GHz/2.4GHz environments and they can’t fix it

chromus, Jun 6, 2020
  7. GeorgeKosmas

jboer

Yup, they broke it and dont seem to be able to fix it, they have dropped the ball on support too.

jboer, Jun 7, 2020
Ask a Question