C-Bus to Daiken Interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bartmannz, May 31, 2006.

1. bartmannz

bartmannz

I have received from an electrical engineer a CIS document showing integration via BACnet to Daikin A/C systems
    Can anyone tell me if the C-Bus to BACnet gateway is available and if so from where ???

bartmannz, May 31, 2006
  2. bartmannz

PSC

Edit "B-BACS" BACnet is a Daikin product, you will need to talk to them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
    PSC, May 31, 2006
  3. bartmannz

Htnut

BACnet is not a Daikin product. It is a open standard building automation protocol used mainly in Europe. Bartmannz, I am also interested in a Daikin -Cbus interface. I would appreciate it if you could email me the document you have

Htnut, May 31, 2006
  4. bartmannz

PSC

You could have fooled me

Looks like a Daikin product to me :cool:

Bacnet-unit.JPG

Introducing the DAIKIN D-BACS BACNET GATEWAY BY DAIKIN...

PSC, May 31, 2006
  5. bartmannz

phcjpp

BACNET is a comms protocol with a bus - Daikin do hardware to support it.

I am working on Daiking control from CBUS via their i-touch controller. Very early days though and very unsupported (java hack).

I seem to remember that BACNET might be very limited in what you can do. Something like having a very limited number of 'actions' or something. Make sure you dig carefully through the docs.

Daikin have some very good control engineers (if you can actually get to talk to them). So give their helpline a call.

Chris

phcjpp, May 31, 2006
  6. bartmannz

Phil.H

Soap Box

Here we go !
    BACNET is a data communicatons protocol for building automation and control networks. It is not a physical product of a particular company but a protocol - language - agreed structure for referencing objects, control, scheduling, alarms etc for building control systems. It originates out of ASHRAE which happens to start with the word American - Oh well this might prove to be one thing in technology they get right ;) . In the last five years or so there has been lots of symantics on open protocols and interoperability. Lets put proper / full interoperability between manufacturers into the same categroy as fairies and magic dust for the moment. It appears the folk at ASHRAE have been smart enough to make Bacnet so open that it just may end up the Ethernet of the compter network for building control systems, well you know what I mean.

The other big big big mover in commercial control systems is web services frameworks for building controls. The folk at ASHRAE seem to be on the money in this area as well.

Probably not a bad idea to make C-Bus relevant to Bacnet. ??? Not sure what do you guys think ??

We have moved past the stage of how (technical) to interconnect building control systems to why ($$$) to interconnect building control systems. Reference the points to a framework / open protocol then crunch the numbers and save power. Power = money and green house gasses. Green house gasses or 'green credits' = money. Hang on it all comes back to money.

Forgot to mention managing peak demand, load shedding and negotiation of supply costs referencing managability / capabilities, again big $$$

Watch this space ;)

- "Looks like a Daikin product to me " PSC, we need to talk...... By the way where is that CTC-PS you owe me ?

Phil.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
    Phil.H, May 31, 2006
  7. bartmannz

PSC

That's cool Phil, just as long as you don't make me sit on your knee again! :eek:

Thursday night, no touching! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PSC, May 31, 2006
  8. bartmannz

Rus

Daikin DBACS for CBUS

Now you can easily integrate to Daikin Air Conditioning without any relay controls or other convoluted method, which has been the case in the past. This product connects to the A/C system through the Daikin DBACS Gateway and it must be installed when the A/C system is commissioned.

Advantages of this method

1) This method does not affect the Daikin Warranty as it is supplied by Daikin. However if you connect to F1/F2 terminals directly it voids the Daikin warranty in Australia.

2) The control is simple, straight forward and is achieved by turning group addresses ON/OFF or RAMPING. You can read/change the Set Temperature, A/C State (Cooling, Heating or Ventilation), Room Temperature, via group address levels.

3) If any DLTs or touch screens are used in the system, they can be used to show proper text feed back. ie: FAN HIGH, FAN LOW, (SET TEMP) etc. For more details please visit
    http://www.avd.com.au/solutions/

Attached Files:

• DLT.bmp
      File size:
      107.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
    Rus, Apr 11, 2008
  9. bartmannz

nickrusanov

Thank you! sounds too good to be true

1. does DBACS support c-bus out of the box? then why is it calles BACNET Gateway?
    2. how does it change dlt labels? any system I/O device needed?

nickrusanov, Apr 13, 2008
  10. bartmannz

ashleigh Moderator

This product has not been to CIS for C-Bus Enabled testing.

You need more information from the makers about how it updates the DLT's and how frequently. (See other posts here about updating text on DLTs too often, leading to wearout of the non-volatile memory.)

ashleigh, Apr 13, 2008
  11. bartmannz

2SC

[FONT=&quot]I think that for everyone who can have access to the BACnet[FONT=&quot]to C-Bus Gateway http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3920 it is easy to get the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]same [/FONT][FONT=&quot]desired result. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]That's why Clipsal must have such products on its own catalogue and don't let us search where in h**l we can find them. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In addition, Clipsal in Malaysia has probably already Modbus gateway and Lonworks gateway.:rolleyes:[/FONT]

2SC, Apr 13, 2008
  12. bartmannz

nickrusanov

it's extremely hard to get info about this kind of interfaces, same situation with all other interfaces to C-Bus. all info I have is got from cbusforums)

nickrusanov, Apr 13, 2008
  13. bartmannz

Rus

A bit more info about C-BUS solution for Daikin AC

DBACS (BACnet) Gateway does not directly interface to CBUS. That's where this solution comes in. When you installed this device, it supports CBUS out of the box.

For dynamic text you do not need any System I/O. All you have to do is configure the DLTs with "Variant 1" text. However if you want to use your own static text you can select "Variant 2 -4".

Non-volatile memory has a finite number of erase/write cycles. Not only the Text in DLT switches, but the A/C system itself falls in to this category. (Changing from HEAT to COOL, Changing SET Temperature etc writes to an EPROM device in the A/C System). Typically manufacturers of EPROM devices guarantees 100,000 erase/write cycles.

DLTs with this system only updates if the system is changed. ie: Switched on/off, change in set temp, fan high/low or a change in room temperature by 1 degree.

Out of all the dynamic text, room temperature is the most likely thing to change frequently. If you believe the room temperature is fluctuating frequently, you can choose to use static text only for this reading. (Or not display at all). However when a touch screen is used to display/control A/C, there is no reason to be concern.

Also it should be noted that the room temperature is not displayed when the A/C is off. This is the most likely time of room temperature changing frequently. However if the A/C is ON room temperature is displayed, but you would assume it would not change so frequently.

Rus, Apr 14, 2008
  14. bartmannz

ashleigh Moderator

There are no LON gateways that CIS know of, either from CIS Malaysia or anywhere else.

The BACnet gateway from ALC is coming and will be added to the CIS product range. I don't know when it will be available but it is in the works.

ashleigh, Apr 14, 2008
  15. bartmannz

ella

Hi. We are Daikin integrators in middle east. We are using BACNET gateway quite successfully. But right now in many new projects we put awesome lighter solution called CoolMaster.
    It worth to take a look over http://www.xdimax.com/cool/cool.html
    It is limited for RS232 only and has no TCP/IP for a while but who cares. CoolMaster advantages are relatively low price that let us provide home automation in smaller projects where people can not afford native and expensive Daikin solutions and very easy integration with popular home automation controllers. I also have to say that our profits are bigger in case of CoolMaster as we can sell it to end customer with bigger margin.

What do you say?

ella, Apr 14, 2008
  16. bartmannz

2SC

I am saying that how you can trust a company that its website is the last 5 days (at least) dead and there it has no trusted ways of payment?:confused:

2SC, Apr 14, 2008
  17. bartmannz

ella

What you mean dead? I do not go to web site everyday as I have direct contacts to them (phone, email, skype). But I clicked the link and everything works fine.
    Try again:
    http://www.xdimax.com/cool/cool.html
    The link is http://www.xdimax.com/cool/cool.html

As for payment I also see no problems. We pay bank transfer or Credit Card per quotation. If you want I can give you more details but in private way. I do not want to disclose too much commercial information here as we do make margins on this product.

ella, Apr 14, 2008
  18. bartmannz

znelbok

link works for me as well.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 14, 2008
  19. bartmannz

Chris Meulengraaf

I have purchased one of the Coolmaster units and it works a treat with a 3 unit daikin VRV system. The staff at Coolmaster are very helpfull and you can pay by Paypal.
    Shipping was very fast. Price is very reasonable compared with the alternatives.

Chris Meulengraaf, Apr 15, 2008
  20. bartmannz

Conformist

Chris

can you give a ballpark figure on the price? $100, $500, $1,000??????

Cheers

Conformist, Apr 15, 2008
Ask a Question