C-Bus Thermostats Released for sale

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Conformist, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Conformist

Newman

Yeah, what can I say? Time Zone, Time Zone......

Newman, Mar 7, 2008
  2. Conformist

Richo

Wow

Richo, Mar 7, 2008
  3. Conformist

Charlie Crackle

If I have a Clipsal minder with (Minder)temperature sensors in each of the rooms already

Can I write some minder code to broadcast the temperatures on the HVAC application ??

ie to the 4 Zone thermostat they look like the remote temp sensors ?

:)

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Mar 7, 2008
  4. Conformist

Charlie Crackle

What if you dont what to waste an entire 12 channel relay for a couple for HVAC relays. Can the unit control lighting application relays

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Mar 7, 2008
  5. Conformist

Conformist

Sorry Charles... no. The Minder doesn't have the ability to broadcast the temperatures, nor support HVAC application (you would have to write so much code, it wouldn't be worth it).

If you could do it, you would need to write a line of code for every temperature value..

ie.. If 'Bed temp' =22.5 then set 'group address 15 (lighting)' to 27% (these are not real vaues, don't try to read into this).

Cheers

Conformist, Mar 7, 2008
  6. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

By DEFAULT no, it uses the HVAC Actuator Application for controlling the relays. But you can override this and get the thermostat to control the relays on any lighting-like application.

You set the Application used for relay (actuator) control on the "Unit Identification" tab, at the label "Application". You will see in there that there are 2 HVAC actuator applications, and Lighting, listed as possible selections, and you have a "+" button to add others if you need it.

ashleigh, Mar 8, 2008
  7. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

Its actually even more complicated than that, the example is an interesting example, but the HVAC application used for control passing between thermostats (or to a thermostat) is unsupported by Minder (in fact, its only supported by new Clipsal products released in the last month or two).

The HVAC application messages bear NO resemblance at all to any other cbus messages, with the exception of the ON / OFF messages which have deliberately been designed to have the same form as used by standard key units. This allows key units to control the whole system (turn it on or off) but thats all a key unit can do.

HVAC control messages and zone temperature messages are completely new and designed specifically for this purpose. Any existing products or devices will need new software written (at the driver level) to accept and interpret such messages, and to generate such messages.

AND BEFORE anybody howls with outrage.... think about it for a moment... Overlaying such sophisticated control over the top of lighting ramp-to-levels is firstly foolish, but secondly (on careful examination) impossible!

ashleigh, Mar 8, 2008
  8. Conformist

Conformist

Hi Ashleigh

I probably should have been a little more specific and said the example had nothing to do with the HVAC application. It was (my example) merely a method of taking the the completely unrelated temperature values in Minder and putting them onto the C-Bus lighting App. which could then have the value displayed on a touchscreen. I can see what Charles is trying to do... take the values from his sensors in the field where he can't retrofit C-Bus sensors.

As you point out.....sophisticated....

Conformist, Mar 8, 2008
  9. Conformist

Charlie Crackle

Lucky I ran cat 5 to those devices (just grey colour not pink) and not Figure 8 cable :)

Is the part number going to be the same as the old temp sensors ??

Just a new firmware revision. or a total new part.

Are they going to look like the old ones (ie C2000 plate with raised plastic grill) or a new look like the thermostat.

If by some magic I could get the touch screen or the PAC to know the temperatures of the rooms from the minder are they capable of sending the TEMP to the thermostat !

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
    Charlie Crackle, Mar 10, 2008
  10. Conformist

Conformist

No, it's 5031RDTSL

New Part (although the case has been recycled for now)

Yes... for now anyway

Cheers

Conformist, Mar 10, 2008
  11. Conformist

curiouser

any progress on this? 6 weeks later i'm still not seeing any sign of the new temperature sensor, on clipsal's site or anywhere else. the 4-zone thermostat is much less interesting without it...

curiouser, Apr 16, 2008
  12. Conformist

xrmichael

Thermostat

No i have not seen or heard anything

xrmichael, Apr 17, 2008
Ask a Question