C-Bus Testing and Brightgreen lighting swap

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by tasalexei, Feb 4, 2015.

1. tasalexei

tasalexei

Hi all,

firstly, thanks to C-Bus for this community. It certainly has some useful advice also for manufacturers.

Secondly, I am Alex and I work here at Brightgreen. We are about to update our C-Bus systems that we use here for testing our products and I wanted to ask the community a couple of questions, because you use these products and know the requirements:

1. Are the following the most commonly used C-Bus systems for residential lighting controls:
    - C-Bus Leading ( L5508D1A )
    - C-Bus Universal ( L5504D2U )
    - C-Bus Wiser Home Controller

2. If not, which ones would you recommend?

3. We will require 3 sets of these to maintain our quality control at our HQ, and our manufacturing partners. Is there a stockist willing to consider an agreement for us to supply lighting to you and you to supply us these systems? (we will help in selecting the lighting which has the highest compatibility with C-Bus)

Cheers,
    Alex

[email protected]

tasalexei, Feb 4, 2015
  2. tasalexei

Matthew

Dimmers

Yes
    Yes
    No -is a controll device, not a dimmer
    + the L5504D2A
    I'm sure some industrious contributor will be interested.

Matthew, Feb 4, 2015
  3. tasalexei

tasalexei

dimmers

Thanks Matthew, I appreciate the feedback. Cheers for the recommended unit.

You are right, I should have mentioned that we also require the control device.

tasalexei, Feb 4, 2015
  4. tasalexei

DarylMc

Hi Alex

Matthew recommended also including the L5504D2A which is a leading edge dimmer but 2A per channel.
    My personal opinion is that you could concentrate on just the universal dimmer.
    If you could provide solid results and detailed compatibility specs would be a good start.
    Doing all that for both leading and trailing edge dimmers sounds like a huge task.

Regarding your control device.
    A CNI to connect to the network and Piced running on a PC would be cheaper and might be worth considering.
    Or cheaper again a USB PCI but that does leave your PC tethered by wires.

Perhaps connecting to Wiser will be easier if you want to use multiple devices and it does have its own Wi-Fi which could be beneficial in a stand alone situation.

The inconvenience as I see it would be that you have to upload the project from Piced to Wiser to reflect any programming changes.
    If it is a constantly changing scenario it might be simpler to use Piced directly.

My choice for a testing scenario would be the CNI with Piced running on a PC.

I also think you need to be talking directly to Clipsal with regard to testing procedures.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
    DarylMc, Feb 4, 2015
  5. tasalexei

tasalexei

Hi DarylMc,

Thanks for the detailed advice, I will pass this onto our lab.

You are right, testing can be quite a huge task, although fundamental to make sure that everything is as good as it can be before product is released. Even though, in a lab situation it is hard to account for all possible applications.

We will definitely consult directly with Clipsal for specific technical advice.

Thanks,
    Alex

tasalexei, Feb 4, 2015
Ask a Question