C-Bus switches not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darryl, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Darryl

Darryl

Hi
    I have a C-Bus system that is 14 years old. I tried to turn on the lights, but nothing is working, except one switch.
    I can manually turn on the lights at the dimmer board. The backing light in the switch dose not light up.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Darryl

Darryl, Jan 4, 2018
  2. Darryl

NickD Moderator

If none of the switches work (or even have indicators that work) it sounds like maybe a power supply has failed.

It sounds like you have DIN rail mounted dimmers in a switchboard... is the "C-Bus" light on?

If the power supply has failed you are probably going to need to find a C-Bus installer to help you.

Nick

NickD, Jan 4, 2018
    Darryl likes this.
  3. Darryl

Darryl

Hi Nick
    Yes the C-Bus light is on. We had two back lights on on the switches before this happened, they stayed on when the light was off. Could these be faulty switches? I have two switches that still work, but they turn on the same lights.
    This has happened in the past and all I did was turn the main off then on and the lights were working.
    Darryl

Darryl, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Darryl

NickD Moderator

Ok... well that's a good sign. It means (at the dimmers at least) there is sufficient C-Bus voltage, so maybe your power supplies are OK.

I'm a bit confused as to what is actually working and what's not though, because in your first post you said

"I tried to turn on the lights, but nothing is working, except one switch."

but in your second you say

"I have two switches that still work, but they turn on the same lights."

What sort of switches do you have? You refer to "back light" and "backing light".. are these the 5 button switches with the LCD? Do the indicators light up? Do you have any other switches? If so what do they look like (how many buttons, what colour indicators)? Do they do anything when you press them?

Nick

NickD, Jan 5, 2018
  5. Darryl

Darryl

The two switches are on the same circuit I think. There is a small red light in the light switch it self, which normally comes on when you push the light switch and the light turns on. The two switches that the light comes on is working normally. Before the lights started playing up there were two other switches that would still glow red even when turned off. It's seems like the main module dose not see the light switches.
    Darryl

Darryl, Jan 5, 2018
  6. Darryl

Darryl

Nothing happens when you push the switches
    Darryl

Darryl, Jan 5, 2018
  7. Darryl

NickD Moderator

Ok... it sounds more like maybe one or more of the switches may have failed.

You are still probably going to need to engage a C-Bus integrator/installer or a switched on electrician to help you out.

If you tell us where you are located there may be someone on here that can help, otherwise give Customer Care a call and they should be able to recommend someone in your area.

Nick

NickD, Jan 5, 2018
  8. Darryl

Darryl

Hi Nick
    I am in Christchurch New Zealand.
    Thank you for your help.
    Darryl

Darryl, Jan 5, 2018
  9. Darryl

level4

What was the solution to this? I have a similar issue

level4, Nov 26, 2018
  10. Darryl

Darryl

I had an electrician come around and all the problem is a wire had come out in my outside sensor light.
    These are set up in a loop, so if one goes out all the lights on that loop stop working. All he did was work out start at the beginning of the loop until he come to the problem.
    Darryl

Darryl, Nov 26, 2018
  11. Darryl

level4

Thanks Darryl. Mine is not wired in a loop rather star which makes it a bit more difficult to find the source of the problem. After proving power to the main boards and to the data power supply, I pulled off one light switch and checked the voltage on the cat5 which was .9V which was just a little bit...err not a lot lower than needed. I then set about the long and tedious task of systematically pulling off light switches and untwisting the cat5 until could find a leg with good voltage and then work backwards to find which leg had shorted out. It only took me 4 plus hours of stuffing around. I hope that this helps someone else if they find a similar problem. I now have to try and get my toolkit up and running again. Ah you have to love technology lol

level4, Nov 27, 2018
  12. Darryl

Trevor

Hi Guys,
    The above issue could also be caused by a faulty transmit cicuit in the 5080CTC Color Touch Screen.
    This is a common fault caused by the age of the unit. These units can still be repaired by Arbor Australia. We were the original manufacturer of the units for Clipsal. i have attached our RMA form that is used to provide use with all the information we need to proccess your repair. I have also provided my contact details if you need to contact me directly.

Symptoms of the transmit error....
    The Color Touch Screen can see all activity on the C-bus network but will not transmit commands to any devices when a control on the Color touch screen is pressed. This may happen all of a sudden or progressivly get worse with time. This fault causes the C-bus voltage to drop to a low level, if you disconnect the color touch from the C-bus network and the voltage is ok, this indicates it is most likely this fault causing the problem.

Note:- All 5080CTC Color Touch Screens CTC1, CTC2 and CTC3, can still be Serviced/Repaired by us. Any Spectrum B/W units can still be repaired by Schneider-Electric directly.

Regards,

Trevor Callaghan

Workshop Technician
    Arbor Australia Pty Ltd

Unit 1/72 Bayfield Rd
    Bayswater North

Victoria 3153 Australia

Mobile : 0404 887 463

Phone : +61 3 8736 0328

Fax : +61 3 8736 0325
    Email : [email protected]

Attached Files: