C-Bus Remotes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1JL, Mar 13, 2006.

1. 1JL

1JL

Hi All,

got a couple of things I'm trying to do but dont know if its possible or if I'm doing it correctly.....

firstly, I have a project where all the switches are saturns and DLT's but I want to be able to use a remote to control the lights aswell, how can this be done??

secondly I have another project where I'm again using DLT's and saturns....I want to set a scene in the lounge so that when the client hits a button the lights will dim, the curtains/blinds will close and the TV will switch on. I've been told I can use an IR output unit, however, I am installing a mirror TV so I dont want any emmitters on the glass. Has anyone got any thoughts??

thanks in advance

1JL, Mar 13, 2006
  2. 1JL

JohnC

As far as I know, the only way to do IR with Saturns and DLTs is to use separate IR Targets. Put them in the ceiling, aim the remote "upwards" and they'll work. Store the scenes in the switches, trigger them with the IR target.

I don't know why you think that the IR emitter needs to be mounted directly onto the TV... why not investigate what I've done at home for another IR system (a Jaycar kit). Get the IR Sender and remove the LED, then make up a tiny plate to mount it in. I've used a small semi-circular (domed upwards) metal spinning which looks like a miniature downlight (it's about 25mm diam x 15mm deep).

I drilled the side of the spinning, so that the IR LED aims downwards at about 30 degrees above horizontal. After a bit of experimenting I determined the best location, then construction-glued the spinning into a hole in the ceiling. Minor adjustments are made by bending the leads of the LED to aim it exactly (they have a wide beam, so you've only got to get it approximately correct and it'll work.

That solution is completely flush, and the LED in the Jatcar Kit is clear, so you only see it for a few days then it becomes un-noticeable. I am sure you could adapt an LED from other systems in a similar manner, and also paint everything except the output window in ceiling paint (hides a multitude of sins)

Of course, you still need to store the IR codes for the TV in a C-Bus device, and make sure it works OK. I'll leave others to answer that aspect of it

Hope that helps, John

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2006
    JohnC, Mar 13, 2006
Ask a Question