C-Bus Powerline Gateway

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by znelbok, Jul 3, 2017.

1. znelbok

znelbok

Ok, a bit of click bait in the title, but its an idea that I have had for a while and want to see if it has any merit with the rest of the community.

We all know that C-Bus is a robust network that will run on "two rusty old fence wires" and we have seen the discussions here about extending C-bus over a fibre/TCP connection and that it is not possible. Ethernet over power has matured now as well so my idea is to have C-Bus over powerline.

Two gateways would be required or it would be built into a specific powerline unit.

Where I see the advantages are
    - Remote building with no c-bus (i.e. shed) could add c-bus without the need for extra cables to be pulled in (assuming power is already there).
    - Gates etc could easily use C-Bus for control of the motors and gate lights.
    - retrofitting a house with C-Bus. Just use the existing LV cables in the wall (like we do now for wireless input units) and send the commands back over the powerline cables.
    - Output units (with integrated powerline module) could be installed without the need of a C-Bus network cable in locations where is it not feasible to run the pink.
    - GPO's with integrated powerline module could be added with C-Bus easily. A C-bus type switch to toggle the switch on and off as well as control form anywhere else. no extra cable needed to control the GPO, just swap out the regular dumb GPO with a C-bus one.
    - General auxiliary input with integrate powerline for any and all sorts on push buttons or other types of contact closures.

I think a system like this could make retrofitting a house very easy and allow some further expansion of installations already using standard C-bus.

Potentially a whole new market - C-Bus powerline enabled branded devices - just plug it in and its on the C-Bus network

Any thoughts on this?

Mick

znelbok, Jul 3, 2017
  2. znelbok

jboer

jboer, Jul 3, 2017
  3. znelbok

znelbok

bugger me - i must have missed the tail of that thread when it was started. Feel a bit foolish now. Oh well, cant take it back. Still like the idea though but appreciate the comment on noise

znelbok, Jul 3, 2017
Ask a Question