C-Bus Power Outlets - Why not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by znelbok, Mar 10, 2015.

1. znelbok

znelbok

With all the fuss over automation etc and a lot of companies jumping to join the internet of things there are quite a few smart outlets being developed. Saw two more new ones today.

When is Clipsal going to embed a relay into a power point with either a wires or wireless C-Bus connection.

Perfect product for new installs - and yes, I know about the plug in modules - but I want them embedded into the outlet.

znelbok, Mar 10, 2015
  2. znelbok

DarylMc

Hi Mykel
    I suppose that would be nice for retrofits but at install CBus relays are already fairly cost effective and quite robust.
    Much more robust than the things we are likely to see as an alternative.

So many times in the past I questioned the CBus way of doing things and even in my ignorance eventually realised I was wrong.

Zigbee integration would be a welcome addition in my opinion to cover a few more scenarios but preferably not through a Wiser.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
    DarylMc, Mar 10, 2015
  3. znelbok

Ingo

Would Cbus over Mains not be a future consideration? Have a small retrofit switch inside a plug housing but then have the control sent via encrypted comms between the Cbus network and mains connected device. Security would obviously need to be very strong.

I have a few Z-Wave relays exactly for that reason - a few additional plugs after initial Cbus installation being controlled by Cbus connected Z-Wave controller. I would immediately swap them out if a similar Cbus capable device exists.

Ingo

Ingo, Mar 10, 2015
  4. znelbok

Roosta

i too have pondered this many a time however abit like DarylMC, always come back to the trusted relay method being the simplest way..

But it all comes down to the application.. Individual gpo control or simple essential/non-essential power control?

Technically what you are asking for could be built with existing components, 5101/2R redesigned to fit into a gpo, albeit with a enclosure at the back, and 2 local toggle buttons on the front..

Which style to offer the gpo in? In the case of clipsal they offer how many hundreds of different gpos, so which one(s) to go with or maybe Retro fittable module? Australian standards and law compliance.. Actual functionality? All these things would have a baring, and considering that clipsal cant seem to get releases of 'new' products (based on existing products) they have advertised for years in advanced right, the chances they are working on anything particularly innovative i would say is slim..

I saw 'Intellisocket' online a while ago and got pretty excited at the possibilities of the extra features such a power consumption, current settings, etc, and so am keeping an eye on them and what they do in this space..

Cheers..

Roosta, Mar 10, 2015
  5. znelbok

DarylMc

DarylMc, Mar 10, 2015
  6. znelbok

jboer

TBH I really think you are asking for trouble when doing comms over mains. Sure it can be done, but we already have to do so much work to keep our mains clean as it is, all you need is to have a capacitor in the washing machine, or the VSD in the Air Con to get a bit noisy and you have all sorts of troubles. Unless you start conditioning or filtering your power circuits separately then I would stay away from it. Just think about how many times you see your TV flicker or ect when the fridge compressor kicks in....

I have had quite a few people have me over to try and get their ether over power working because it keeps dropping out and it is generally noisy mains. At work we have a huge number of Clevertronic emergency fittings that all talk over mains and only half of them are online at any one time... But all the systems running on ether - 100%!!

Many people ask me about it and often I say that it could work just fine, but it really may not. Even if you want to do a power condition check, or try an install but either way it could be an expensive experience. If you have a bit of a bad connection with a bit of corrosion or ect on your cable, lets say on the back of a power point on the outside wall and while it will work very happily with 240v at 50hz, try running some comms over it at a much higher frequency and you get issues. Then you have the whole mains isolation thing.....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
    jboer, Mar 10, 2015
  7. znelbok

DarylMc

Hi jboer
    Was that reply for me?
    I think CBus is a robust system.
    Comms over mains seem "as" feasible to me as wireless systems or possibly a bit more so.
    The folks who developed CBus have without doubt put much thought into the robustness of the network and in my humble opinion they did the right thing.

DarylMc, Mar 10, 2015
  8. znelbok

tsman

Communicating over wireless is much more reliable than mains. There are just too many interference sources on mains wiring as jboer mentioned for reliable operation. For wireless, you can jump to a different frequency or do spread spectrum to minimise the effect of interference. For mains, there is very little you can do.

The signal won't travel between circuits in your house very well. The circuit breakers will attentuate the signal severely. Your signal will be obliterated by any powerline networking equipment as well.

If mains comms works for you then great but if it doesn't then it will be a nightmare to track down and fix. You may find that the interference isn't even coming from your house. It may be from your neighbour.

tsman, Mar 10, 2015
  9. znelbok

jboer

Not particually, mostly to Ingo's comment of C-Bus over mains. But it was a generally comment on what seemed to be where the conversation was going.

jboer, Mar 10, 2015
  10. znelbok

Ingo

Ok, point taken. That leaves normal Cbus wired or wireless connection. The fact remains that everyone, including a Cbus hardliner like me, have some need for a retrofit device and the devices currently on the market like what has been mentioned are very attractive. That said, even my Z-Wave power outlet relays I use I would swap for a Cbus device in a heartbeat if they existed.

Ingo, Mar 11, 2015
  11. znelbok

jboer

I very much agree, that is where things like zigbee really should start to be integrated into more things.

I also have an issue with all the wifi devices that are coming out on the market, what a lot of consumers don't know is that a domestic home wifi router or access point is really only capable of handling 10-20 clients after that you can start having problems. By the time you buy 10 wifi plugin relays from Aldi and add a few iPhones, laptops, printer, tv, XBox... you exceed that very quickly..

jboer, Mar 11, 2015
  12. znelbok

ashleigh Moderator

Here I beg to differ. A long experience in wireless tecehnology leaves me very cold on it. Things like changing frequency are possible in theory. In practice, its very hard and you have to work inside the unlicensed bands.

Each country has its own regulations on unlicensed bands (eg Australia, UK 433 MHz. China 315 Mhz. Lots of Europe 868 MHz. USA 916 MHz.)

Pretty much (but not completely) universal is the 2.4 GHz band but thats used by... microwave ovens, Bluetooth, Wifi, Zigbee, and a bunch of other things that play in the land of free-for-all.

In the non-2.4 GHz bands, the power limits and frequency ranges make frequency hopping impractical. Direct sequence spread sprectrum (in a very basic way, or its little brother code division multiplex) is OK in some of those, but as the frequency spread is small the improvement it gives can be anywhere from none to illusory. A lot of the time the spreading is actually used to get around regulatory power limits... not to improve the effects caused by multipath.

Which brings me to be biggest bugbear of them all. Multipath fades in a wireless system are the killer. Multi-hop routing can help but it consumes a lot more "air-time". Mapping arrangements like Z-Wave can help too - until you shift furniture. I have MEASURED fades (a drop in received power) of > 30 dB just by a person walking around in a room. Handling this is *very* difficult!

There are many cases where wireless just won't work... ever. Think passing through lots of reinforced concrete (steel mesh = bad). Or stainless steel splashbacks covering a wall of a kitchen makes a pretty effective metallic barrier too. So does a thick stone wall. There is a reason that commercial WiFi chews a lot of power and a lot of buildings need multiple WiFi routers or repeaters. Getting coverage needs lots of power, and lots more stuff installed than we'd all like (a case of throw enough money and power at it and you can make the problems go away... most of the time).

If you look at the location of GPOs in most residential dwellings you will find they are close to the floor, which if concrete contains steel and so places your device close to a nice ground plane. Plain ole EM field theory will tell you this is somethign of a disadvantage. Oh, and that GPO usually has a solid metal wall box behind and around it as well, which kind of puts your wireless device inside a Faraday cage on 5 of the 6 sides. Radiation patterns from such mounting is (to be mild about it) not good.

In a commercial building wireless is supposed to be the saviour of everything via Zigbee. Has anyone actually taken a look inside the ceiling cavity of a commercial building? Lots of yummy metal for a/c ducting, wiring, things holding up ceilings, etc. Wireless might work... but it also might not. It certainly won't work according to the can which says "range of X meters". It might achieve X, it might sometimes even get 2*X. But frequently it will also only manage X/10. (That's not an exaggeration!)

Buildings are lousy environments for wireless. The solution is to punch out more power and have clever frequency agility. And a tolerance that sometimes it won't work, and when even if it did work the performance will change.

This all makes it very hard for an installer because walking out leaving a completely reliable installation is a pretty hard thing to do.

This comment is spot on. C-Bus over mains was considered, but the stumbling block was that the technology to make this REALLY ROBUST (because nearly robust is not good enough) was available, but very physically large and very very expensive. The idea at the time was that the price of a really good transceiver had to get down to about $5 (from >$50) and the size had to shrink from the size of a cigarette packet down to a single IC smaller than a 5 cent coin.

I've been out of that loop for a while now but have had a bit of a watching brief over this mains comms technology for a long time, and as far as I know its still not where it needs to be (ethernet over mains is NOT the same technology!).

The saving grace in c-bus land is that even over mains, the comms can be pretty slow (say < 10,000 bits /sec).

Any transceiver also has to meet all the relevant standards for interference / radiated emissions. Which limits the bandwidth it can use and the amount of power that can be bashing into the line.

Of course, ethernet-over-mains came along and it now obliterates everything where it is used. And its usually not very good either.

I once had some 200 Mbits/sec ethernet-over-power adaptors to get my TV/PS3 connected to the home NAS. This is running in a not-very-big house, but the total amount of mains wiring to traverse was around 20 meters. I managed to get about 5 Mbits/ sec of actual performance from these things, it was hopeless. Best thing I did was to bite the bullet and pull a cat 6 cable through. And ditch the ethernet over wireless. That was just wasted $ and lots of wasted time and frustration.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    ashleigh, Mar 14, 2015
Ask a Question