C-Bus Patch Panel?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by LynnT, Mar 2, 2017.

1. LynnT

LynnT

I inherited a Clipsal lighting installation where in the mechanical room there are 4 C-Bus cables which have been connected together by merely twisting the appropriate C-Bus wiring together in a ?star? and taping over the twisted mess. This mess works, but I want to replace this existing mess with a more structured and easy to re-cable solution.

Ideally, I would like to put RJ-45 connectors on the ends of each C-Bus cable and then simply plug them into some type of patch panel designed for this C-Bus purpose. Does anyone have experience with this type of patch panel connection for C-Bus and does it work well? Are there standard products available that patch properly for C-Bus cabling? I have searched for such products, but I have found none. Do you think an Ethernet cable ?splitter? work for this application?

LynnT, Mar 2, 2017
  2. LynnT

breadknife

Hi LynnT,
    I have done exactly what you are suggesting for my installation, i used RJ-45 splitters. For example in one of my cbus panels i have four cbus cables coming in which i terminated with RJ-45 plugs, these four cables go into two splitters. Then i made two short cbus cables to go from the two splitters in to another splitter, then i'm left with one cable which plugs into the first cbus module (dimmer in my case). My main reason for doing this was to easily diagnose a possible fault with a module that could be corrupting the network. I can now easily disconnect each 'star' leg until the fault disappears, narrowing my search for the faulty unit and getting the remaining system back online faster without having to unscrew terminals, re-terminate etc. This has been running like this for a couple years now with no issues.
    Cheers

breadknife, Mar 2, 2017
  3. LynnT

znelbok

No such thing exists for C-Bus but you could look at the RJ45 network harmonica or Telephone harmonica for starserve.

The Telephone harmonica from memory has all pins connected across the backplane so would be simple for C-bus if that were the case.

The RJ45 harmonica for networking would need you to bridge all the terminals at the back together and then you would have an 8 port C-Bus patch panel.

You can do the same with any patch panel, but typically they are for 19" rack mounting and hence are very wide. The harmonicas are only 8 port and under half the width.

znelbok, Mar 2, 2017
  4. LynnT

jboer

I have done what znelbok has said many times even with standard rack patch panels. The other thing I have found works really well is to get the skirting mount RJ45 enclosures, and put 2 back to back, all just wired together. Makes a nice compact 4 way hub. I have also used the 8 way version with a backing board for a fully enclosed 8 way hub.

https://www.4cabling.com.au/double-keystone-surface-mount-box.html

jboer, Mar 2, 2017
  5. LynnT

Ashley

Ashley, Mar 3, 2017
  6. LynnT

NickD Moderator

I take it the punch down just goes to the corresponding RJ45 socket? So you have to punch down a wire across all the ones you want to common up?

We have a bunch of similar things here in R&D which I think were from the Starserve catalog.

How much does one of the NESS ones go for?

Nick

NickD, Mar 5, 2017
  7. LynnT

Ashley

Yes, you link all the punch down blocks together. Generally I run the incoming branch (i.e. from the CNI etc) along all the punch down blocks then branch off using the RJ45's. That way it is easy to partition the network if you have a fault (assuming you have distributed the power supplies appropriately of course).

They are currently $26.00 + gst

Ashley, Mar 6, 2017
  8. LynnT

Ashley W

Personally I would go for din mounted terminal blocks and try and make C-bus look nothing like cat 5/6.

Or in the OP's case maybe put the 'working' mess in a termination box to better hide it and keep it all together.

Ashley W, Mar 6, 2017
  9. LynnT

LynnT

Thanks for Suggestions

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I have purchased a couple of these recommended products and plan to test these on my workbench. I will then incorporate what works best for me into my system. After doing these few improvements to patch points, I should have a top notch system in place. Overall, I love my Clipsal system and think it is one of the best.

I am located in the USA and use 120v parts. In the past I was concerned about the supply of 120v parts, but I have now located several sources for these parts, have stocked a few key parts on my shelf, and now I feel confident that I can support my system into the indefinite future. It is a solid product overall, and one I could easily recommend to others. With the economy now improving in the USA, I hope that Schneider will decide to again produce more 120v products for this growing market.

LynnT, Mar 9, 2017
  10. LynnT

allanf

allanf, Aug 31, 2017
  11. LynnT

LynnT

Thanks for the reference to the DIN-mounted RJ-45 splitter product. It looks perfect for those situations where the splitter needs to be in the C-Bus cabinet. And, this DIN-Rail splitter is easily available in the U.S.

I have found that what works best for my C-Bus connection patches (which are outside the C-Bus panels) is a simple 4-way RJ-45 splitter. These are cheap on Ebay and can be easily adapted from one of the standard splitter products like the one from the link below. It is about $10 for four RJ-45 ports.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-to-1-RJ45...367535?hash=item28290c5b6f:g:HdMAAOSw2xRYexoG

This is a standard 4-to-1 RJ45 Splitter Cable Adapter - Network splitter 4-port CAT-5. When you get the device, you will need to cut-off the RJ-45 cable and connector, as this supplied cable is wired incorrectly for C-Bus. Just open the plastic splitter box and clip the 8 Cat-5 wires close to the PC board and then put the splitter box back together. Then you have a perfect little 4-port splitter for C-Bus -- all at less than $10. The little box can go almost anywhere, but I have found it is easy to mount on a wall with an inexpensive bracket of some sort.

But I do see the benefit of having a DIN-rail mounted splitter for some applications, and I plan to buy and check-out the unit you referenced.

I'v attached a picture of the 4-port splitter (before removing the RJ-45 cable) which I have successfully used.

Attached Files:

LynnT, Aug 31, 2017
  12. LynnT

Monkey Magic

I've just got a wall mounted patch panel off ebay. About $15. Punched down a common wire all along the back.

Josh

[​IMG]

Monkey Magic, Sep 4, 2017
Ask a Question