C-Bus not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peterpullar, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Peterpullar

Peterpullar

We were installing a sound system and I had to leave early. When I arrived back on site the next morning, I noticed the owner using the buttons on the C-Bus units in the switchboard to operate the lights. He said the C-Bus system had stopped working last night and he had called the electrician. I continued doing the sound system installation, connecting the Ethernet cables correctly to the Pioneer receiver amplifiers. I noticed the C-Bus system started working again. The reason the C-Bus system had not been working was that the Ethernet input of the Pioneer receiver had been connected to the C-Bus by mistake. One of the RJ45 connectors in the living room was in fact C-Bus. I laughed so much when I realised what had happened!

Peterpullar, Jun 11, 2014
  2. Peterpullar

rhamer

Your lucky, I've seen Ethernet ports on switches be destroyed by someone plugging live C-Bus into them.

The fool that did it, saw a RJ45 socket and deduced it was a computer port because "that's what those type of sockets are"

Worse, when he couldn't seem to make anything happen, he tried several other wall points, blowing up switch ports as he went.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 11, 2014
  3. Peterpullar

Peterpullar

Thanks rhamer. I was wondering what the voltage on the C-Bus would do to the circuitry of the Ethernet input of the brand new expensive Pioneer surround sound receiver. I am glad that it still works after being connected to the C-Bus.

Peterpullar, Jun 11, 2014
  4. Peterpullar

zei20t

ouch!

Ethernet is anywhere within -2.5v to +2.5v (depending on speed) so plugging in 30v of cbus would destroy it!

zei20t, Jun 13, 2014
Ask a Question