C-bus not connecting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clueless Scott, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Clueless Scott

Clueless Scott

I'm very clueless on our c-bus/clipsal system so I likely won't even ask this question intelligently. It appears our system is not connecting properly to the c-bus network. We have several relays that are flashing as if there is an error. Our electrician thinks we might have a bad connection somewhere but he has never worked with a c-bus system. Is there a simple way to determine if our c-bus network is functioning properly before he starts checking every device for a faulty connection?

Attached Files:

Clueless Scott, Nov 4, 2020
  2. Clueless Scott

Ashley

If the Touch Screen is stuck in the "Starting" page as shown then there is a fault with the touch screen. No other fault anywhere on the network will stop the touch screen booting. If the touch screen can't connect to cbus it will display a cbus icon with a line through it in the top right corner once it has finished booting.

Lights will flash on the output units during normal operation.

Do the lights work if you use the override buttons on the output units?

I assume you have normal switches. Do these work?
    If the lights on these are alternately flashing, that will indicate a bus problem. This is generally a power supply failure or wiring fault.

Ashley, Nov 4, 2020
  3. Clueless Scott

chromus

If your sparky doesn’t know where to start, find a sparky with CBUS experience.

A seasoned CBUS tech will be able to spot the cause pretty quickly.

Where are you located maybe a local integrator would be a better bet.

chromus, Nov 4, 2020
  4. Clueless Scott

DarylMc

Could be USA with the 120V CBus equipment.
    The top relay has no leds on so it could be something as simple as a tripped breaker.
    It is a power supply unit so could potentially take the whole CBus network down.

Ask the electrician to investigate if there is power to the relay unit.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    DarylMc, Nov 4, 2020
  5. Clueless Scott

bmerrick

Guys, the units are SquareD marked 120V, Live Blue Neutral White

The US NEC requires a white / grey neutral and any other colour used for single phase.

DarylMC is on the good oil, the top relay seem either dead or the circuit breaker is off. The touch screen not booting does set my thoughts to a possible power surge/ spike / lightning sort of scenario. Both the relay going and the touch screen not booting simultaneously suggest an external cause.

A reset of the circuit breakers involved might bring the touch screen back and possibly the relay.

Good luck,

Brad

bmerrick, Nov 5, 2020
  6. Clueless Scott

Clueless Scott

I'm in the US, specifically northern Indiana. The pic of the screen was included so you could see what version we are using. The screen actually boots all the way. Your suggestions are very helpful. I will double check that no breakers are tripped.

I should have included in the original post that we have some lights that don't come on automatically and others that don't turn off automatically.

Clueless Scott, Nov 5, 2020
  7. Clueless Scott

bmerrick

Hi Scott,

You said you have several relays flashing,

If it is the top LED on the relay units (Unit LED), this just indicates that the relays are in 'Local Override' mode. You can turn on or off each circuit on the relay by pressing the numbered load (white) buttons. Press and hold for a few seconds any of the load buttons on the relay to return the whole relay back to full C-Bus control which will stop the LED flashing.

I am assuming that the LEDs you say you have flashing are the bottom ones (C-Bus LED). This indicates that there is not enough power (C-Bus power supply output power) to run your C-Bus network. The fact that the top relay is off is probably the reason for this as it was supplying 200ma of power to the C-Bus network, which of course it won't do if it is off or dead.

Here is a copy of the (Australian Version) of the relay manual with further details to assist you or your sparky. He should check the top left Live/Neutral/Earth input to ensure there is AC to that top relay in the picture. If there is, the relay is dead and needs to be replaced as the unit light would be on if it was OK.

If your sparky needs help, have him contact Schneider Electric SquareD support in the US (+888-SQUARED - 888-778-2733) or contact CIS (Clipsal integrated systems) technical support (+61 8 8161 0511 for international callers to Australia ).

Good Luck,

Brad

:eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bmerrick, Nov 5, 2020
Ask a Question