C-Bus Network Interface 5500CN

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by hutcho, Aug 5, 2005.

1. hutcho

hutcho

I seem to be having problems setting up my 5500CN Network Interface to talk to my C-Bus network. I originally tried directly from my PC using a crossover cable, but was told that maybe my PC did not have the power to control it properly.

I now have a network unit, the Clipsal Starserve Ethernet hub, but still not having much luck. The instructions in the manuals seem way over the top and confusing for what I thought should a plug and play item. It also becomes more confusing when it starts talking about changing it to a serial device??

Any help would be much appreciated.

hutcho, Aug 5, 2005
  2. hutcho

ashleigh Moderator

Ethernet devices are NEVER plug and play no matter what you get told.

You should be able to use a CNI (5500CN) attached to a PC using a crossover cable, or you can use 2 ordinary cables and a Hub.

You will need to use the Toolkit software which can discover the CNI's on the ethernet network. However, you may need to set it up with an IP address - and that is where you will need to go reading the instructions.

What you do, where you do it, and how you do it (on the PC side) will depend (at least) on the O/S you are using, any other ethernet settings that may be in place, and the way the PC adaptor has been set up (if at all).

For more help you will need to post more details of what your OS is, how the adaptor is set up, any other ethernet settings you have made, etc.

ashleigh, Aug 5, 2005
  3. hutcho

Newman

I would agree that the Installation instructions are not the best. Ethernet devices have always been a pain to configure quickly and easily.

The easiest way is to install on your PC the Device Installer Software from the C-Bus Downloads page. http://www.clipsal.com/cis/downloads.php3#LantronixDev

This will enable you to discover your CNI. You can then assign it an IP address. You may need to fiddle with the Subnet Mask on your PC to get this to work properly. Once you have an IP address you can use the Toolkit software to talk to your network.

Tech Traning and Support should be able to talk you through any other issues you're having.

Newman, Aug 5, 2005
  4. hutcho

hutcho

Thanks for your replies. I have tried for a couple of hours (at least) with no success.

I have Windows XP Professional Edition.

I have changed the TCP/IP settings to a subnet of 255.255.0.0 This then stops my internet connection. I have also had it on the alternate connection. The Lantronics device installer can't find anything though at any time.

The IP address if this makes a difference has been 10.20.30.40 or 10.120.120.235

Surely there must be an easy set of instructions out there?! :confused:

hutcho, Aug 5, 2005
  5. hutcho

znelbok

The manual tells you how to set the IP address using the arp command.

First , make sure you have your machine working properly. Put is IP address (and sub mask) back to what you had it at, and make sure you can ping something on the network.

Then follow the instructions in section 10.0 of the manual (http://www.clipsal.com/cis/pdf_files/1036139_-_5500CN_INSTALLATION_INSTRUCTION.pdf)

Follow the instructions completely, as the ip address is not retained unless you log in either by telnet or http.

It is not that hard and you do not need the crap redirector software.

Mick

znelbok, Aug 7, 2005
  6. hutcho

Chaitanya

please do help for hard reset of 5500CN

Chaitanya, Dec 19, 2022
Ask a Question