C-Bus Modue - discovery question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vik, May 19, 2014.

1. Vik

Vik

I have a question about using discovery mechanics.

As far as I understand from documentation, I should receive discovery event with application number, then discovery event with group numbers, and finally discovery event with group levels. Each number from discovery groups event will correspond with one number from discovery levels event.

But discovery application event contains not one, but two application numbers! How could I determine, which group numbers from following discovery groups event corresponds to which app?

For example, I'm receiving following events:
    CBUS_DISCOVERY_APPLICATIONS: 38 30
    CBUS_DISCOVERY_GROUPS: 49 2c 31 c0 e9 ff e8 bf ff
    CBUS_DISCOVERY_LEVELS: 00 00 00 00 4c 00 00 00 00

In that particular case, I know that group 233(0xE9), which has level 76(0x4C), belongs to application 48(0x30). But how could I determine this by parsing discovery messages?

Sorry for my bad english. :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
    Vik, May 19, 2014
  2. Vik

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Vik,

The CBM discovery process does not support the second application. Groups that belong to the second application are supposed to be reported as $FF. In your post you indicate that you are seeing groups for the second application, this suggests that particular unit may not be complying correctly with the discovery process.

In order to use the CBM reliably you will need to ensure the units are configured with one application only; or you can use unique group addresses in each application and distinguish between these in your third party software.

daniel, May 20, 2014
  3. Vik

ashleigh Moderator

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that the CBM is only running the MMIs on the primary application, and that in turn is whats used to discover the groups.

ashleigh, May 20, 2014
  4. Vik

Vik

Thank you very much for your answer.

Then, if I'll use in my software any other integration method, such as using C-Bus open serial protocols or working through C-Gate or something else - will I be able to receive levels of all groups just after connection to network first time, in such case as described above?

Or did that means that having two applications on one unit is a configuration error, no matter how exactly I'm working with C-Bus network?

Vik, May 20, 2014
  5. Vik

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Vik,

It's not a configuration error, you can configure both applications in a unit just fine using the C-Bus software. It's just a matter of getting access to this information.

If you just want the group levels and don't need to know what units they are on, you can execute a series of Application MMIs, one per application you are interested in. This is documented in the C-Bus open serial protocol.

If you need to know which units have which groups (and the units use both applications), that's somewhat trickier. It will help to know what units you wish to interrogate.

C-Gate does provide the secondary application groups but at this time only for some units - the Neo derivative units and the Wireless units - and only after finishing a network sync.

The Neo derivative units are:
    KEYC1, KEYC2, KEYC4, KEYCIR1, KEYCIR4, KEYM2, KEYM4, KEYM8, KEYA1, KEYAV2, KEYA3, KEYAV4, KEYA6, KEYA8,
    KEYB2, KEYB4, KEYB6, KEYP2, KEYP4, KEYP6, KEYBIR2, KEYBIR4, KEYBIR6, KEYV1, KEYV2, KEYV3,
    KEYDV1, KEYDV2, KEYDV3, KEYDV4, KEYBL5, KEYML5, KEYDL4, KEYV1SP, KEYV2SP, KEYV3SP, BCN2B, BCN4B, BCI4A,
    KEYE1, KEYE2, KEYE3, KEYE4, KEYEIR1, KEYEIR2, KEYEIR3, KEYEIR4,
    SENPIROA, SENPIRIA, SENPIRIB, SENLL (ST7 only ie v2.0+), SENPILL, SENPILLA, SENPIRIC, SENLLA,

You can query the BlockGroups and BlockApplications properties for these units in C-Gate after they have been synced.

Similarly, for the Wireless Units, there are properties for Groups, GroupsSecondary, GroupSlots, GroupSecondarySlots, OutputGroupSlots, OutputGroupSecondarySlots.

I hope this is of some help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
    daniel, May 22, 2014
  6. Vik

Vik

Thank you very much!

I need only group levels, so will try working with Application MMIs, hope it helps.

Vik, May 22, 2014
Ask a Question