C-bus lighting LED dimming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StuDuke, Nov 18, 2009.

1. StuDuke

StuDuke

Hi

I am very new to the c-bus scene and just starting to install a system.
    I am starting in our living room and have already installed some 240v GU10s and other 240v zones succesuly.
    My problem is with the LEDs I want to install.
    I am trying to simply fit two stips of 24v red LEDs that I want to dim!
    I didnt think it would be to difficult, at the moment I am using a 4 channel and a 8 channel dimming bank and nobody can tell me what transformers I need, as soon as you mention c-bus they look at me in a strange way or just walk away!

I am also wanting to add a RGB LED system into a alcove in the other room....just looking at the complexity of trying to link the c-bus to a DMX driver is putting me off this.
    Has anyone got any help or experience with the above

Thanks

StuDuke, Nov 18, 2009
  2. StuDuke

Newman

Regarding the dimming of LEDs, you will need a LED ballast/transformer that is designed for dimming. The input to this ballast/transformer could be done with a variety of methods such as DALI, DSI, 0-10V, Phase Control or DMX. C-Bus can be interfaced using all of these methods. You'll need to consider the costs of the ballasts as well as the cost of the required C-Bus gear.

If you want to dim the LEDs using your existing C-Bus Dimmer then you'll need an LED ballast that is designed to work with phase control, but I think you'll find them to be somewhat thin on the ground.

Clipsal is/has about to/has released a C-Bus to DMX gateway that would enable you to connect a DMX LED ballast directly to this. This new product should make the cost of interfacing via DMX much more attractive compared to the ways it has been done in the past.

Newman, Nov 18, 2009
  3. StuDuke

StuDuke

Thanks Newman

Thanks for that.
    I will let you know how I get on with the dimming and will keep an eye out for the DMX gateway

Stu

StuDuke, Nov 18, 2009
  4. StuDuke

DDirk

StuDuke

The phase control C-Bus dimmer will not latch fire correctly when connected to an LED inverter driver.
    Like Newman said.

I have not found one yet.

Cheers
    DDirk

DDirk, Nov 19, 2009
  5. StuDuke

ashleigh Moderator

They do exist, but not easy to find. I've seen one but trouble is I can't remember what make/model :( It was some months ago.

Keep looking. When you find one, post here to tell us all, please...

ashleigh, Nov 19, 2009
  6. StuDuke

Newman

National Semiconductor make this chip, so someone somewhere must be using them.

NXP also have this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
    Newman, Nov 19, 2009
  7. StuDuke

Bance

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
    Bance, Dec 1, 2009
  8. StuDuke

NickD Moderator

Once the DMX gateway is released... it will be a much neater solution than the Analogue Output Unit... it is bus powered, so you don't need any mains wiring, and you can have 12 group addresses compared to 4.

I had a bit of a look around for some LED outdoor fittings a while ago and came across these guys :

http://www.superlight.com.au

They have a 3 channel LED driver with a DMX interface, which seemed reasonably priced.

I have no affiliation with these guys, and I haven't used the product myself (although I was planning to), but the guy I talked to seemed quite helpful.

Nick

NickD, Dec 2, 2009
  9. StuDuke

Tim1212

LED Dimming

We have the 0 ~ 10v Dimmable Ballast to suit for LED Dimming.

If you want to get more info. please feel free to contact me.

Tim1212, Jan 23, 2010
  10. StuDuke

samluo

RGB LED system can use DMX- Cbus gateway.
    but if only two strip or red LED, just use 0-10v/DALI LED transformer may be the simplest.

samluo, Feb 10, 2010
  11. StuDuke

znelbok

I received an e-mail yesterday about an LED downlight made by Alphalux.

What was intersting was that the brouchure had written "Dimmable leading edge driver" [brouchure is attached]

Now I cant remember id C-Bus dimmers are leading edge or trailing edge, but I think the universal should work with them.

Just putting it out there.

Mick

Attached Files:

znelbok, Apr 8, 2010
  12. StuDuke

NickD Moderator

Interesting.

The L5508D1A and L5504D2A are leading edge.

The universal (L5504D2U) will run in trailing edge unless it senses an inductive load, so for these types of fittings, it may end up running in trailing edge mode, which in a perverse kind of way may mean the leading edge dimmers actually might work better (it depends on how the fitting manufacturer have implemented their power supply).

Nick

NickD, Apr 8, 2010
  13. StuDuke

scott d

do these come with the control gear i wonder? i have been putting in possums until something comes up with leds and transformers and can use on cbus dimmer (leading edge). tried to find something more on internet about this brochure but come up with nothing. anyone seen or used these yet??

scott d, Apr 10, 2010
  14. StuDuke

znelbok

I have organised to get one from the local supplier to test. This should happen in about three weeks when I return from a business trip. I will report my finding then unless someone else beats me to it.

I too have possums in the roof.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 12, 2010
  15. StuDuke

GMS INTELLSYS

Will it work?

Had a look at the Aurora LED Driver(constant current). But will it work with a 8ch dimmer? Heres hoping!!!

GMS INTELLSYS, Apr 21, 2010
  16. StuDuke

Glazza

Glazza, Apr 23, 2010
  17. StuDuke

Phil Summers

Gms intellsys

Stop hoping. It won't!

The "Dimmer" that the spec refers to (AU-DSPLED) is NOT a dimmer but a 0-10 volt source. You'll need to use a L5504AMP module plus a relay channel to control the Aurora driver.

I have this set up and whilst it dims fine, there is one other problem. The Driver seems to be full of capacitors that take a long while to discharge. The output level lags behind and slows the response to a "ramp to off" type CBus command and causes a less-than-elegant fade. On cutting the power on the relay the LED can take up to 5 secs to extinguish (depends on the number of LEDs you are driving).

On top of all that, I had one factory-bad driver that required replacing (out of a total of 4)

Also see my post - http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5584

Phil

Phil Summers, Apr 23, 2010
  18. StuDuke

gopronto

i have a 6 ch LED dimmer built and designed in New Zealand , can be controlled via RS232,

10v to 24V DC, 6A per Channel.

gopronto, Apr 24, 2010
  19. StuDuke

Mick01

I managed to get my hands on a LED downlight made by Alphalux.
    It was a 9watts high brightness beam angle 80%. According to the information it is a dimmable with leading edge dimmers. Now I am no expert on downlights , actually I hate downlights but the house I am building will look ok with them. For 9watts they are very bright and one is only required in the WC. I have trial it on a 8 channel dimmer and had no problems dimming it down from 100% to 10%. Didn't bother going any lower because there wasn't any point. So they do work and they come with LED driver(looks light a transformer)and with a 1.5meter flex and plug.
    I remember reading here somewhere that if you can't buy led downlight for around them $75 to $100 they are not worth looking at. Can someone comment on this for me ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    Mick01, May 3, 2010
  20. StuDuke

OldSkool

Been a while since I've logged on here but came to ask about LED D/Lights

I got this Email from a company called superlight

"Our ECO12 LED Downlight (also attached) is the best LEd downlight currently available. It has phenomenal light output and suits standard 90mm cutouts. We also have 2 driver options that will suit CBUS, either 1-10V dimming.....or standard leading edge dimming. The ECO12 downlights are $78 ea + GST, "

The attachment he sent was just a picture of it.

I as yet haven't got back in touch with them but am keen to see what others think. I'm keen to go to LED 's but not keen on going the 0-10V way.

Derek

OldSkool, May 5, 2010
Ask a Question