C-Bus is working, but can't connect to it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by P_R, Sep 24, 2012.

1. P_R

P_R

Hi,

New to this site, so I'm hoping there is an existing thread someone can point me to if this is a common question / problem. Otherwise, here is the problem.

I have a house with C-bus controlling the lighting, alarm and sprinklers. When we moved in I added control of roller shutters as well. All works properly, although the roller shutters can only go up / down. So I was going to add in the L5501rbcp module which is for control of shutters as this has up / down / stop functions. Had an electrician connect it and it works when I operate the contols on the unit itself. So far so good.

However when I try to connect up to the network to assign the shutter to a switch, the software cannot see anything. The connection is a 9-pin D connector going into a serial port with the computer running XP. I've connected in the past (although some time ago) in order to change the sprinkler days, so I know I can connect. Also, when I plug the cable into the computer, the c-bus system beeps every 10 seconds or so. It's done this in the past too, so I thought it was normal.

So what I've done is disconnect the new unit and see if I can connect up to the network, without luck. What to do?

Here's what I have, a mix of old and new:
    5104d750 x 4, 4 channel relay
    5104r x 1
    5104rvf x 1, 4 channel voltage free relay
    5100ps, power suppy
    L5504rvfc series x 3, <--- these control the existing shutters
    L5501rbcp x 1 <-- this is the new one.

In addition to the C-bus, I have Home Minder which has all the programming for the various scenarios I run which interfaces with C-Bus. (that part is voodoo at the moment for me!)

The reason I wanted to try the L5501rbcp module is that I make roller shutters and c-bus connectivity is an area we want to get better at, hence this was a trial.

Any advice is welcome!

Ped.

P_R, Sep 24, 2012
  2. P_R

Conformist

Is the connection you are making to the C-Bus network through the Minder controller? I'm assuming it is as i don't see a PC interface of any flavor on your list there. You were able to connect to C-Bus through the Minder many years ago but this has not been possible for a very long time now.

Please confirm if this is correct or not

Cheers

Conformist, Sep 24, 2012
  3. P_R

P_R

Hello,

Last year I connected and it still beeped, but I could see the network. In between it stopped for some reason.

The physical connection I have was hand made! I.e. the previous owner soldered the wires from a cat5 cable into a 9-pin D connector. At the other end the wires go into (I think) the 5104d750 unit, but they are connected strand by strand into the terminal points.

Software wise, I start Minder, but from there it jumps into C-bus v2.0 (forgotten the software name). Recently I've upgrade to the latest version, but it too cannot see anything. I've tried to read up on what it could be and maybe network burden, but I'm guessing a this stage.

Ped.

P_R, Sep 24, 2012
  4. P_R

Conformist

OK.. as expected, you are connecting to the C-Bus network through the Minder. The C-Bus software V2.0 did this fine. V3 (known as Toolkit) will not connect through the Minder. Upgrading to Toolkit is the reason you can no longer connect. Your options are to either...
    -get a PC interface that will connect to C-Bus

-or-

- try to get a copy of V2 C-Bus software

Conformist, Sep 24, 2012
  5. P_R

2SC

Dear Conformist,
    there is a L5501rbcp in his network.... Can the old software identify these new units?

2SC, Sep 24, 2012
  6. P_R

Conformist

Good point!

You are right. V2 software will not be able to edit this product.

Conformist, Sep 24, 2012
  7. P_R

P_R

Hello 2SC, Conformist,

I still should have the old V2 software, so will try that so that at least I can get back connectivity. The L5501rbcp is disconnected at the moment so should not be in play.

If I can connect, I presume I can use V2 to edit the existing setup, then use the new version to confirgure the L5501rbcp? Or will V2 be upset with the L5501rbcp and not allow changes?

A possible alternative is that I purchase a PC interface module to connect up to what I have and then use that to configure the system. I'm presuming that would work with all the units and the PC. Since we'll be selling the house I'd prefer not to, but at least I'll learn more for the next house - currently negotiating to have c-bus included in the specs :)

Thank you both for the input so far.

P_R

.....having had a thought.....
    If I get a 5500PCU and connect it to my PC, then will I be able to directly configure the devices even though Minder is also present? But then I might have a problem with any Minder scenario which includes the L5501rbcp? Minder might even have a problem with it on the network. And I'm guessing that as an alternative, I won't be able to link the L5501rbcp with an existing shutter switch as the L5501rbcp has up / stop / down while the others have up / down only. If this all gets to difficult, I could simply take the L5501rbcp out and connecting it to a standard switch, then use it with a new installation!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
    P_R, Sep 25, 2012
  8. P_R

Conformist

V2 will not be able to edit the L5501RBCP but the software should scan the network and let you edit other devices even if the L5501RBCP is connected to the network

You could always purchase a PC interface and keep it for your new house (you won't need to leave it on site). If you are planning to do some programming in the future, I would suggest you make your purchase a CNI (network typ PC interface) as you will be able to program over a wireless connection (assuming you have a home network with a wireless access point) and not have to be physically connected to the unit...

Conformist, Sep 25, 2012
  9. P_R

Conformist

Minder will allow you to have a PC Interface on the network no problem. I have a Minder myself and I have all sorts of new and wonderful units on my network. The unit (L5501RBCP) and it's ability to be programmed with the V2 software are the problem. The configuration that uses lighting commands (Minder uses these) should be OK.

Conformist, Sep 25, 2012
Ask a Question