C-Bus Intercom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by *JD*, Oct 17, 2005.

1. *JD*

*JD*

Hello,

My name is John Duncanson (JD). I am starting a new business in Townsville called Home Smart Home. My Background is AV so I am still working on the smart part. My knowledge in C-Bus is very basic and will improve a little when I attend the starters course in November. So please be easy on me :eek:

The first question is in regards to a new home been built and intergrated with C-Bus. The lady of the house would like an intercom system without any additional product on the walls (i.e. Vallet).

My thinking led me to this hopeful solution. The system would use small microphones placed near or above the wallplates and converted back from mic level to line level. Then all the mic's go into a Audio Matrix Switcher and then out to the different zones with ceiling speakers. Owner would then have an intercom that could cover the whole house or just one room. You would also have control of the volume and if you wanted to overide any music.

Questions :-

Can you link an Audio Matrix Switch with another so that I would have enough inputs?

Can a switch be programmed to operate like a intercom button. Talk only while holding done?

Can C-Bus Software have a seperate page on the Colour Touch Screen to engage the switch, and change the input and output to suit the owners intercom requirment?

Can a DLT wall switch also be programed to control the input and output?

Am I Dreaming? :confused:

Your patience would be appriciated.

Many Thanks,

JD

Sorry if I did post this in the wrong area, I'll post it in the hardware section.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
    *JD*, Oct 17, 2005
  2. *JD*

PSC

Welcome John,

I beleive that you are much better off putting in a PABX style phone system (Panasonic or NEC). You need phones in house, so just install one of these little puppies.

You can intercom between stations, page all handsets, connect cordless phones to it, release doors & gates all for the same sort of money of a 1970's style intercom & much, much cheaper than what you have proposed.

As for your idea - John "You're DREAMING!" :D

PSC, Oct 17, 2005
  3. *JD*

*JD*

Thanks Peter,

I had to laugh, I was wondering if I would get through the radar without a comment. Guess not :)

Richo managed to give me some idea's in the C-Bus hardware page.
    As for the PABX system, The owner doesn't want her five year old with a phone. But that could be comprimised if we could lock that phone from making calls? Is it possible with the brands you mentioned? I have only had experience with the Aristel DC 209 System.

Thanks for the laugh,

JD
    Home Smart Home

*JD*, Oct 17, 2005
  4. *JD*

PSC

JD,

You can definitely lockout phone calls with the Panasonic and most probably with the NEC as well.

I have to give you points for thinking outside the square, well outside the square :D

PSC, Oct 17, 2005
  5. *JD*

PSC

JD,

If you ever decide to make this fantastic new CBus intercom - let me know...

We would all love to see it :)

PSC, Oct 17, 2005
  6. *JD*

*JD*

Hey Peter,

It might sound crazy but I'm going to run it by the guy who is programing the house. I like a challenge. The client dosn't have an issue with money, just looks. I first suggested the phone system but she wasn't sure about the units in most rooms. I'm sure you will hear about it if it goes down the toilet. LOL
    I'll have to change my business name to Home Not So Smart Home.

Just when your finished laughing at the intercom idea. I've got another one I'm about to post in the Starserve forum. Enjoy :)

Regards,

JD
    Home Smart Home

*JD*, Oct 18, 2005
  7. *JD*

Sergio

How about MinderPRO?

Look at Clipsal product named MinderPRO. You will have intercom between eight keyboards, and security system, and IR control, and control with mobile phone, and shedules, and C-Bus control and monitoring.

Sergio, Oct 20, 2005
  8. *JD*

darrenblake

Intercom systems

Hi all,

JD, what your proposing is possible (with a bit of fiddling).
    A job i did about two years ago required a minimalist finish, so the client did not want touchscreens, phones, switches, CCTV monitors etc cluttering the walls.
    We used C-Bus as the lighting control system, and the Multimedia Dynamics touchscreen.
    Within the surround of the touchscreen, we took a Fermax intercom ssytem including integrated access control keypad built into the door station, and modified (butchered) the handsets to fit behind the facia plate of the custom 10.4" touchscreens.
    We then soldered wires from the microswitches to the on-board relays on homeminder.
    We created talk and door latch buttons on the MMD screen, which when the door bell rang, the screens automatically switched to the CCTV camera at the front gate, allowed communication and door release from the touchscreen to the front door.
    The proces was a little involved, but the final product was quite impressive.

Godd luck

darrenblake, Oct 21, 2005
Ask a Question