C-Bus integration with doorbell products

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shubba, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Shubba

Shubba

Hi all,

Am an absolute noob so please be patient with my understanding. We have inherited a house that is all c-bused up and I have taken my time to learn as much as I can about the network here (I have even managed to re-sync some of the lighting when it encountered a hiccup). Anyway, out lovely house is about 10 years old and has a PCI in the server/media room and a C-Bus colour touch (CTC) panel near the kitchen. From the lighting perspective, this is all running well but would now like to expand on this.

We have a front gate out on the street which has an intercom system (Fermax) which includes video camera and also push button numbers that allow the gate to unlock with the right combination, and gets you to the front door.

Soooo....what I think I can understand out of this setup is that originally someone would ring the doorbell, you would hear the chyme inside at the CTC panel, you could see the individual on the screen and you could open the gate from there (and also can open from couple of other c-bus 8 switches inside the house). Suffice to say none of this is working and this little Fermax unit is beeping in pain, I'm happy to bury this thing in the back yard and replace it. We've opened this up and it appears to be hardwired/powered back the to server room where the PCI exists so I have started to look at desired options to try and integrate.

My question is (and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction), is it possible to get the following and if so, which is the best on market product to try with (obviously trying to get back to at least what looks to have been operational before, I've ordered these in mandatory to "nice to have")....

* Have a powered/unit unit on the gate where people can press the doorbell
    * The doorbell rings and we can hear this inside the house (one or multiple audible speakers)
    * The individual ringing the doorbell automatically shows up in a video window on the CTC panel
    * Internal person and can press a button on the panel which releases the gate to let them to the front door
    ---(I think that would get us back to basics)
    * Doorbell also rings/texts 2 smart phones/devices either on or off premises
    * Ability to have 2 way communication with the individual ringing the doorbell (if postman is dropping of parcel, can tell them to leave at front door)
    * Ability to open gate remotely if off premises (if postman is dropping of parcel, can buzz to open the gate to allow them to leave at front door)
    * keep video footage of anyone ringing the doorbell from this camera in doorbell/intercom
    * the ability to get a text/email if someone has entered a code manually and entered the premises (school kids have come home...etc) .

I think that covers it. Maybe a bit ambitious but would love any feedback, advice, direction with this one. Maybe I've missed something that is also a nice extension on these things to. I have heard of Ring and Nest Doorbells so happy to go with one of these or abetter suited one to integrate with the C-Bus setup I have. Clearly I'm not the individual to get this in ...

Cheers,
    Paul

Shubba, Jul 19, 2019
  2. Shubba

pspeirs

Hi Paul,

How did you go with this, any progress?

Regs,
    Paul

pspeirs, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Shubba

bmerrick

Hi Paul (and Paul),

It would obviously be good to hear from Shubba on how he went with his intercom issues / choice / fix and I welcome his input though it's obviously been a while since his original post.

As a suggestion, if an IP door intercom is a new service you are working toward, I often provide this for my clients with the 2N IP gate and door intercoms which are a premium product used most often in high end residential and commercial premises. That being said, IMHO there's nothing wrong with the Fermax product in Shubba's original home configuration, but I note all these IP systems need to be kept meticulously maintained and updated, particularly on the IOS / Android platforms as the apps needs continuous updates to maintain ongoing security and maintain proper ongoing operation. They are not 'set and forget' systems.

Whenever Apple or Google change key parts of their operating systems, it can often cause issues for the un-updated intercom system apps.

Some other premium residential units with advanced integration features (that integrators often suggest) that you might consider are Bticino, AIPhone and ICT.

Check them out,

Brad

:eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bmerrick, Jun 2, 2020
Ask a Question